Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>I've lived in P'cola for many years and have recently got a really BIG fishing bug. I'm looking for some advice, tips, tricks, general knowledge of how, when, and where to catch some big reds. When is the best time - incoming tide, high tide?? What type of bait works best? I've heard from cut bait on the bottom to grubs and spoons. Unfortunately, I am as landlocked as they come, so, is it possible to find some good fights off of a pier or bridge?? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am off work until Saturday night and would love to get out there ASAP with at least something in my tackle box other than the ever popular "Well, honey, they just weren't biting today" or "I had a huge bite and then you called me on my cell phone !!" stories!!!

Thanks!!
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Live pinfish...try the T-pier with a live pinfish

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Bob Sykes is good - free - place for landlockers. If you can get pin fish, they are great, but reds will take cut bait as well. The only thing about fishing Bob Sykes and the Tee Pier (P'cola Beach Pier) is that you will need a bridge net to land your fish. Usually there is someone close by that will have one and will help you land your fish, but, I've been there when there was no one - so go figure.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
174 Posts
BIG Reds, as in the kind you can't keep? or slot reds? IMO bulls can be caught where you can get to good tide movement ,Pickens , NAS, with live shrimp. On the other hand bulls will take just about anything. As for slot reds , look for structure , pilings, posts, anything that will hold bait. I've had hit and miss luck with lures and stick to live shrimp. LOL

·
Registered
724 Posts
the best advice i have if you are a newbie is to go fishing WHENEVER YOU CAN. that is the "best time" to go fishing. sure, you can plan around the tides, but the fact is different fish bite on all tides. public places to go are many. one of the best ways to get started is to go the beach and just relax with a line in the water. you will NOT learn overnite. you WILL pick up methods and develop your own over the YEARS. just be patient. do NOT go to wallyworld but to a local shop like GBBT or Outcast or Reel Fun. there are others in the area east and west. learn from the counter guys. it is their job to sell you stuff, the right stuff.just dont expect much help during a busy time. so go when it's slow.

as far as bob sikes, i find it very messy and not conducive to a positive newbie fishing environment. sure, you can catch fish there. i would just not go unless you are targetting a specific species during their season. otherwise not only will you get disappointed, but you wont catch much fish. after or during learning tackle basics, learn to target a species. florida sportsman mag has a section on what to expect to catch during a particular month. read up and have fun

1 - 6 of 6 Posts