Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in my second year of saltwater fishing. I do mostly wadefishing and surf fishing with my family. Also have a kayak that I get out on every now and then. I’ve been desperately trying to educate myself as to where and when to fish. Last night me and the family decided to go out to Navy Live Oaks. The tide was incoming, wind blowing towards us from the south, clear water, baitfish everywhere in the grass, but not one bite. Together for about 3 hours we tried white zman paddletail, White doa twitch minnow, doa shrimp (cleat) and popping cork, gold spoon, and white MR-17. I know that you’re not necessarily gonna have great days every time out, but I thought with those conditions it could be good....skunked again on artificials. 15lb braid tied to 15 lb floro. Any suggestions?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,986 Posts
Most likely to your dismay is the abundance of freshwater along the coastal areas from all the rainfall lately. Seems from your lure choices you were shallow water fishing, right where all the rain (flood) water is. Try fishing the deeper water and hopefully you'll find where the saltwater column is, and where the fish should be. No rain this week, so give it a few days and fishing should be better. g/l

·
Registered
907 Posts
I like a silver sidewinder spoon when there's a lot of bait fish around, and you could try using 8# or 10# mono as your terminal tackle instead of the 15# fluoro. Keep changing things up until you catch fish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I had actually wondered about the salinity. So many factors...but I’m slowly learning. I’ll try a smaller leader I guess and give it a few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts