Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie Fishing Grayton Beach 6/15

Hello everyone,

I have been looking around the site for a couple days and decided to make a post to get some help since vacation is getting close.

I will be bringing my yak with me from Kentucky. I am not new to fishing and have been surf fishing almost every time I make the trip to Florida but fishing from the kayak is new.

If anyone has any tips that would make my time more enjoyable please throw them my way!

Also, what species should I be targeting next week when I arrive? I will not be going too far out because I am not super experienced with this kind of fishing. I am planning on buying some circle hooks and maybe a couple gotchas but that is as far as my knowledge extends. If someone could give me some pointers on rigs/techniques that would be great also!

Look forward to hearing back and I can't wait to get down there for some fishing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I fish grayton pretty frequently and have most luck trolling cigar minnows from a duster rig. I like to sit on the edge of 2nd bar and cast gotchas for spanish too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. What kind of line would you all recommend for trolling and casting out past the sand bars? Do I need a leader?

What kind of hooks for fishing cigar minnows?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for the replies. What kind of line would you all recommend for trolling and casting out past the sand bars? Do I need a leader?

What kind of hooks for fishing cigar minnows?

20-30lb mono should be good.
On one of my trolling rods I use 50lb braid with a 30# mono topshot and the other just straight 30lb mono. As far as casting, I've got 20lb braid on my spinning set up and the same on my baitcaster. You will need a leader for anything toothy. Buy a premade wire king duster rig for trolling cigs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
20-30lb mono should be good.
On one of my trolling rods I use 50lb braid with a 30# mono topshot and the other just straight 30lb mono. As far as casting, I've got 20lb braid on my spinning set up and the same on my baitcaster. You will need a leader for anything toothy. Buy a premade wire king duster rig for trolling cigs.
Thanks for the help, hopefully I have some luck and catch some fish!

Also, correction, I am going June(6) 15th to Grayton beach, got my numbers mixed up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
does your kayak have a fishfinder? there are literally MILLIONs of AR off grayton. that grayton fleet has done it's home work over the years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sadly it does not. Is there any chance I could find one by luck? I'm staying right next to where alligator lake dumps into the gulf.

·
Registered
328 Posts
not sure which one is alligator lake. but you might. if you see bait holding in one area sometimes there is a AR there or a FAD. there are lots of fads too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sadly it does not. Is there any chance I could find one by luck? I'm staying right next to where alligator lake dumps into the gulf.
Is alligator lake the one right off the beach there in grayton? Didn't know they opened it back up to the gulf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts