Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to florida and was wondering is it ok to Kayak to Fort Mccre? If you flallow the pensacola beach bay side? My family lived here all there lives and was wondering the same thing. Is that ok

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
It's ok to kayak there. It's a great spot to camp too. Be careful crossing the pass though, the tides and traffic can give you hell. I would go from the Perdido side. It's a long paddle, but great fishing all the way there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Im new here and bought a kayak and love it. I realy want to upgrade to a hobie. lol But not quite ready to drop big bucks. What are some things i should worry about while Kayaking around? And prepare for just in case? We usually go off P'cola beach about 1/4 mile or so. I'd like to get realy good at it and learn the do's and dont's.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
DO catch lots of fish. DON'T get ate by a shark, or hit by a boat. Be careful in the surf, don't underestimate the power of a 2' wave breaking vs a kayak. DON'T get stabbed in the face by a sailfish lol. Just be careful out there. Keep your wits about ya, pay strict attention to your surroundings, and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
DO catch lots of fish. DON'T get ate by a shark, or hit by a boat. Be careful in the surf, don't underestimate the power of a 2' wave breaking vs a kayak. DON'T get stabbed in the face by a sailfish lol. Just be careful out there. Keep your wits about ya, pay strict attention to your surroundings, and you'll be ok.
What he said. DON'T underestimate a north wind.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Kvan Classic is my nephew and just moved here from Minnesota and is doing very well adjusting to kayak fishing. Dont let him fool you...

He was with me Saturday morning when we hit the surf at Chickenbone and I hooked a big dolphim which drug me out at least a mile. Just to keep an eye on me, he was steady paddleing behind me for my safety. He will make a great kayak fisherman!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I've made the pass crossing plenty of times, it's definitely doable; however, I DO NOT recommend it for a beginner. Wait till you've had a lot of experience dealing with unfavorable conditions: e.i. paddling into a head wind + current, paddling across strong wind + current, swell and surf with an unloaded kayak is also good practice. In doing the above you will learn how to "read" the water and have an idea what conditions to expect even before getting the yak wet.

Once you've spent a few months building up the skills, then here are a few things to consider for crossing the pass.
1) Wear your life jacket! DO NOT leave it bungeed down or in a hatch!!!

2) DO NOT CROSS ON THE WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too many boats!

3) Research the tides WELL in advance of your trip. There are a number of good tide websites out there as well as tide charts available from bait and tackle shops. Check tides repeatedly before your trip. Ideally, time your crossings for slack tide either right at high or low when the tide is not moving. However, if you have to cross during tidal movement, DO NOT CROSS DURING OUTGOING TIDE!!! Trust me, I know this from doing it the hard way.

4) Keep your head up and eyes open at all times: look in front of you, to the sides, and behind you constantly to make sure you know where all the boats are and avoid anyone who may not be paying attention.

5) Have ALL of the required safety gear plus extras attached to YOU and easy to get to. NOT INSIDE A HATCH!!! Ex: whistles, air horns, flashlights, headlamps, a pole with a light and flag above your head is also good. Have lights even if you plan to be back before dark just in case something happens.

6) Bring water and food and eat and drink something IMMEDIATELY after you get across to the other side.

7) Wear you life jacket!!!

8) In case you missed it, WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET!!!

Good luck!
Alex

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
LOL! I hear ya yaksquatch! "Don't cross on an outgoing tide." Don't hook a thirty pound jack on an out going tide near sunset! I thought I was done for lol! Ahhh...memories. Nothing like learning lessons the HARD way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to making that trip sometime (not this year). I think my uncle devinsdad and his friend would love to come with, theres no way I'd go alone. Might just try to avoid going by the pass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts