Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys......I am putting feelers out on a new rod building venture I am starting up.

I find that most inshore rods come with fast action tip Great for slinging lures, but when you are boating the fish, you have to walk your rod hand up the rod and stick the rod out over the water on the opposite side of the yak. More than once, I have inadvertantly dunked my reel into the water resulting in a cleaning and regrease. You can get moderate action rods but they are usually high-end $$$ and the power is M/H to H which is not what we yakkers are looking for.

I am experimenting with blanks of different action to come up with an "yak friendly" inshore rod. 7'6'" min length, L/M power and S/M action in 8-15lb, 8" cork foregrip for added flotation.

Do you think there is any interest in this venture???

Would be interested in hearing form some of the heavy hitter yak fishermen here to get input on rod specs.

Shoot me a PM if you have some ideas.

Thank guys...Tom

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
My biggest problem with those stout "pluggin" rods, is that the butt is too long to work a lure comfortably from a seated position. I think a short butt would go nice with a yakkin rod.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
im in for this, might build my own to experiment, but i think it could catch on, i agree with velli tho, i can see how a short grip rod would be nice, i like my little fenwick eagle gt, its pretty short after the reel seat but its only a 6-10 lb rod, im looking forward to seeing how it works out in a yak.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My biggest problem with those stout "pluggin" rods, is that the butt is too long to work a lure comfortably from a seated position. I think a short butt would go nice with a yakkin rod.
So a butt of 8" vice typical 10"-12".

My thoughts were to make the foregrip 10"-12" with a shortened butt of about 6" like a morph between a spinner rod and fly rod. This is kinda out there, but I think inverting the grips and working the rod from the forward grip vice having the hand over the spinning reel split between middle and ring fingers may have an advantage because your hand will be closer to the bend point of the rod. Less torque on forearm and better control of the rod tip. The weight of the reel will act as counterbalance and the 6" butt gives the left hand enough clearance to crank when the butt is stabbed into chest, lap, belt etc etc.

I also want to somehow make the rod bouyant enought to float with a graphite reel attached.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
I've actually given "yak rods" a lot of thought lol. Have you thought about an auto-inflating air bag that inserts into the butt? It could be pressure sensitive so that it would deploy after sinking to a certain depth.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow......

I can see an accessory that you clip to your rod. If it goes in the drink, it activates. Or has a pull lanyard that activates it.

On the other hand, a simple lanyard that tethers the rod to the yak works good too. Simpler, less clutter, less tangling is what I am tryig to achieve.

You and I need to talk about this more.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i had a thought about this last night guys, i went fishing at my boat and got out my uncles old shimano bull whip, and its about the grip dimensions that were mentioned earlier, any idea how stout of a rod could be made with that kind of design? i thought it might have the potential to satisfy the requirements of a short enough rod that could handle a big fish and still be pretty compact and have good backbone so it doesnt completely horse-shoe under heavy loading. does anyone still make blanks like that?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have wholesale account and can get just about any rod blank that is out there.

It would be great to be able to produce an "all around" rod but the power and action combo I am talking about would only work for inshore. Jigging and trolling would need more power and faster action.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
difinitely, i was just suggesting the bullwhip model for the inshore idea, its a great design for what we're talking about.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear ya.... I'll try to look up the specs on the bullwhip and see how it translates to a 8-15 wt blanks.

I've got some cheapo spin combo's that I got for free that am going to start cutting up and modifying to see what design features work best.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
kinda, they were a wierd blank that was almost the diameter of the grip down at the butt and tapered heavily down to normal diameter about 18-24 inches up the rod, then had a very live tip on them, this made the rod as a whole very very strong but still gave it excellent feel and response, my uncle has one thats about 8-15 lb rated i believe, if we get the chance to meet up ill borrow it and let you fish it some time, ive never seen a rod that could quite match the characteristics of it, ive always felt its about the perfect light tackle rod

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
no its a spinning rod, but yes, bass lures all that jazz, idk much about how it was marketed when they were making it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts