Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm really looking into getting a kayak fishing this but I feel a little intimidated. It seems like you have to spend a 1k on a kayak and I don't want to do that just starting out. I've been searching for some under $500 new and used. Just wanted to know if you guys had any advice on finding one that's not so expensive but still a great yak. I've seen a few ascends that have caught my eye.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I've paddled a lot of kayaks and for the money, I love the heritage angler series at academy.

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
If you want a decent kayak for 500 or less, keep you eye on the used ones for sale. I'm an Ocean Kayak diehard myself.... some say they're too wet, but I think they are a very stable platform. I liked the Scrambler and Drifter (no longer in production) OK kayaks- and even new, they were very affordable.
If you can hook up with some folks who have some for sale, you should be able to test them out first. If this is your first yak- I strongly suggest trying some out before you buy! Also be sure to check Craigs List and the MBKFA forum for used yaks.
And if you are near Fairhope, stop by Fairhope Boat Co, OR Pcola, stop by Pensacola Kayak & Sail...

Lots-a luck my friend! :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The Pescadors are great as long as you're not too large of a fellow. The OK drifter is a great starter boat, it was the first I had. Stable, doesn't track that great though. 500 can get you a nice rig, especially in a month or so when people start selling theirs to buy a new one with tax money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
So I'm really looking into getting a kayak fishing this but I feel a little intimidated. It seems like you have to spend a 1k on a kayak and I don't want to do that just starting out. I've been searching for some under $500 new and used. Just wanted to know if you guys had any advice on finding one that's not so expensive but still a great yak. I've seen a few ascends that have caught my eye.
You don't have to spend that much. I paid 500 for my OK Prowler used with some accessories included and 350 for my used Pescador with just a paddle.

A Hobie sure would be nice but I have too many other recreational pursuits I like to spend money on too ... so I got to economize sometimes.

As far as getting advice from others on here about what yak to buy it would help if you gave some info about your size (weight) and your level of personal agility. You need to be able to get back in it and I don't mean just when the water is calm and flat. Also I assume you plan on fishing in the GOM with it?

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Best advice is to get the one you like and can afford. I fished from a sit-in 8' Pelican, my first 3-4 years. Upgrades will come. Just get your ass on the water...there's fish out there!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forum Fiend v1.3.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Go all out and get a pro angler u wont b let down and will never have to upgrade spend the money now and save money later.
I agree with this...... somewhat. I started with a Perception Sport - Angler 11.5 for $700 new, and I thought it was INSANE for a kayak to cost upward of 1K much less a couple grand. Just as I suspected landing a medium sized fish in a kayak is like landing a huge fish in a center console. It's as addictive as crack! I also quickly figured out that the Hobie guys where trolling circles around me. Especially in the wind! Plus it is a PAIN to try and rig lines and paddle in the wind, waves, and current plus stay over a reef. So much to my dismay and excitement I'm purchasing a used Pro Angler 12 this weekend. It's a little sickening paying that much for something without a gas tank but it will be worth it when I get on the water this spring.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Oh the point of my story was if you like fishing and don't mind getting wet you're gonna LOVE kayak fishing. So spend a little more now and save a little in the end. When income tax returns come in and people start upgrading you'll be able to get in a used Hobie for 1500 to 2000 easy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Don't buy one before trying it out to see if you like it or not.. but you don't have to spend crazy money on a kayak to kayak fish... all you need is something you're comfortable in that will get you off the bank and handle the waters that you are fishing in... I know several guys that have/had the ascend and had no complaints... great price, layout, seat for the money.. like others have said with the new hobie drive and seat that has came out on the 2015 models look for a lot to be on the market soon... you'll likely still spend around 1500 on one though...

This is a great article for new guys to the sport

http://kayakfishingblog.com/2015/01/stop-apologizing/

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
there is a kayak club in Pensacola. I have visited with a few of the members and they are super nice. I am certain they would let you try some different ones out so you'd have a better idea of what works for you. I personally have a Jackson Big Tuna but if I ever buy another it will have a peddle drive of some sort

1 - 14 of 14 Posts