Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a like new Ocean Kayak/Old Town CanoeAmbush. Its HUGE, something like 13ft long and 44" wide and 100lbs.

The seller says it was hardly used and comes with a like new 44lb thrust Minnkota Endura, paddle and a few other things. Price is $400 which I think is pretty good.

Ive got a few concerns. One is, its a dark greenish color, would that get too hot in the sun down there?

Second, I will mostly be fishing all by myself. Because I dont have experiene unloading and loading a yak, could I do this all by my self on the roof of my 4-door sedan?

Also, would I have to register it if I put a trolling motor on it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ocean Kayak and Old Town are two different brands. OK does not to my knowledge make a model called Ambush so researchj and find out what you might be getting.

In general, a 13 ft 100lb kayak is pushing the limit for solo loading/unloading on a rooftop.

Green will not be a heat issue but will be a safety issue. We recommend getting the brightest color you can to bee seen on the water.

If it has a motor, it will need to be registered.

Good luck.

Ted

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Ambush is now made by OTC but I think the one Ive been offered is an '03 model made by OK.

The safety issue makes sense! Didnt even think about it!

The idea of being able to stand up and fish out of a yak intrigued me. I am much more use to standing and fishing than sitting thats why I though this monster would be nice to have, current owner bass fishes standing up on it.

That is a bummer about having to have it registered, will have to look into the cost of something like that.

I am excited about the prospects of fishing in a new way and cant wait for my first Nantucket sleigh ride!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I checked the Old Town and Ocea Kayak sites -did not see an Ambush. From your description, this boat sounds like a canoe, maybe with a squared off stern for a motor. If you mount the motor, you have to register it with the state. Probably would be fine for most of the inshore water here, but we would recommend you get a sit-on-top kayak if you even think about going out in open water in the bay or in the gulf.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My kayak weighs like 60 or 70 lbs, and I cuss at it every step of the way when I'm dragging it out to the water. If you get that I would def get some wheels. Lifting it will be a pain too. 100lbs isn't too heavy, but when it is stretched out over 13ft, thats when it gets fun.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may have to grab it! Ive seen some pictures where people modified jet ski trailers or other small trailer to tow it. May be my best bet and get a set of wheels to drag it to the beach. I have a pretty small car and honestly I dont think I could get it up there.

The seller swears he can stand on the edge and not tip it. Im 5'8" 190lbs and I think it has an amazing 800lb capacity! I think it also already has a live well. With the size, it might have some great potential to rig out and be yet another expensive hobby!:banghead How much would it cost to have it registered? We dont do that here in KY so there is no title, I hope that is not an issue.

It is the OD green so safety may be an issue, I suppose I could get some reflective paint/tape or something for it too.

I am really excited about the prospect of fishing in a new way and healthier way. I am pretty familiar with fishing from the shore down there and have spent considerable time fishing 3-mi, havnt fished the new one yet, Sikes, Octagon, Ft Pickens, National Seashore, the pier and of course the beach. I will also have limited access to my Uncles 24ft CC but I am sure I will spend much more time in the yak!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would make the owner put it in the water and try it out before you buy it. Make sure what he is telling you is true. If you go to him with the money in hand I am sure he will find a place to try it out.

It is a good looking boat, I wonder why it was discontinued.

Charles

·
Registered
947 Posts
The description in the link you attached says it is intended for "flat water, moderate swells and slow rivers." You also mentioned that you definitely want to take it into the gulf. The boat is almost 4 feet across - I am thinking this kayak / boat is not what you want for the open bay / gulf. If you want to fish rivers and bayous, lakes, etc, it would be fine. But I think you will regret buying it the first tine you launch off the beach and fight the wind and current offshore... The suggestion to go test it is a good one - even if you throw it in a pool.

Just my $0.02...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts