Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys/girls, i moved to gulf breeze June last year from Louisiana. spent lots of time fishing rigs offshore so I am new to this fishing area. I want to give trolling a shot but dont know whats best for the area. Can I get any recommendations as to what type of lures and bait to use and areas to fish how far out. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I have some coordinates from FloridaGoFishing.com out of the Pensacola pass. Again any help wil be greatly appriciated.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We troll with a Duster and a cigar minnow. Nothing fancy. Couple hundred feet behind the boat. If you pull up to any reef and troll around it, you can pretty much bank on catching a king. Pink and a deep blue with silver is our favorite color. Look up MTB for wreck numbers. Hope this helps

Scott

·
Registered
604 Posts
It depends on what you are targeting/how far out you are.

Nearshore, I like to run one or two Stretch 25, a cigar minnow/duster combo with a planer and one more on the surface.
Further offshore where wahoo and marlin come into play, I like to run a Stretch 25 or YoZuri Bonito, a weighted blue/white ilander with a rigged ballyhoo, a surface chugger, and a couple more skirts rigged with ballyhoo.
Favorite colors combos are purple & black and blue & white. Mahi colors work well too.

So thats the 'what', next is the 'where'.

Nearshore, most of your trolling should be over reefs, or large patches of live bottom. Don't work an area too hard. If you don't get bit, move on.
Further offshore, the bottom matters a little less and surface activity matters a little more. Weedlines, tide breaks or any change in surface geography is good. If you can't find any of these features, then you can troll bottom contours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts