Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals just moved to SanDestin/santa rosa beach area about a Year ago. I bought me a Hobie outback about a week ago and wanting to do some fishing. Anybody willing to let me go out with them and show me the ropes? Or give me some advice on some lures to use to catch some fish.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
None yet since I've moved to Florida trying to get Into it I've been out a couple times in the bay close to my house just pulled my yake around to one of the empty lots and put it in the water I'm between the mid bay bridge and the bridge on hwy 98

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm from Alabama orginally been fishing rivers ponds and lakes my whole life never done any saltwater till recent

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Gotcha, I am over in the Pensacola area. You are getting here during a great time of year though. The flats are really waking up and the Spring bull Red run just kicked off.

Inshore- Early morning/late afternoon my go to bait is "bone" colored spook style bait, Super Spook Jr and the Chuggin' Spook is my favorite. Anytime the topwater bite dies down I like the MR-17 or a swim bait style soft bait. I'm not much of a bottom bumper unless I am targeting flounder (which I am horrible at). So i option for a lot of higher pace baits. Of course a live shrimp or Ly under a Cajun thunder popping cork will almost always fit the bill. If fishing after dark, all the above methods can produce fish under dock lights.

Offshore- Starting out I would recommend trolling a duster covering a cigar minnow (live or frozen). Do this just over the color change (sand bars) and you should be able to produce Kings, spanish and if lucky a cobia. You may also get lucky and catch some mahi, tuna, sails, even wahoo. I say to start this way because you are close to shore and you can get a good feel for your boat in the GOM without being too far from shore. Once you get a feeling for the boat in open water, you can open up to bottom bumping the great reefs and wrecks we have off of our beaches.

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Best first move- looking for a buddy to go with. The gulf can be a brutal teacher! Been to any seminars? There are some good videos on YouTube also.
http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCPPWl47QFEttXSeNjXsTTpA
Get some practice in at your bay location, make sure you practice some re-boarding the kayak in the water (as if you were in deep water), and always have the proper safety equipment.
One thing I've always said... "Use good judgement" and "if you're uncomfortable doing it, Don't do it".
We did a lot of GOM kayak fishing and it's a blast taking a "sleigh ride" with a big fish! ....and never knowing what you will catch out there on that kayak! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh that's what I'm trying to do find someone to take me out and let me tag along with them I grew up on rivers in canoe's this is my first kayak so will take all the advice I can get thanks

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ya, most the time if you post when you are planning on hitting the water someone will say hey I'm going to. Especially once it warms up a little more, this board will really start buzzing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a long way for me that's about about 1 hr 45 min. That's not factoring I the spring break traffic either I can't make that

1 - 20 of 32 Posts