Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I do a lot of bay fishing I want to try my hand at surf fishing this winter.
My question is, what size weight and hook do I use for whiting and red fish on a Carolina rig?
Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most use a 2 hook dropper rig off of the beach, with a large enough pyramid sinker to hold the bait in place against the waves and current. I use owner 1/0 mutu circle hooks as a go to for most species like pompano, whiting, bluefish and redfish. Have caught large redfish on that setup but would maybe try a 2/0 or larger if specifically targeting bulls. 20lb flouro is typical leader for pompano, would upgrade to 30 for redfish. I use 2-4oz pyramids depending on conditions. I feel like a carolina rig would get tangled easily when casting at those distances but keep us posted if thats what you go with. 4 oz minimum I would think since egg weights wont hold as well as pyramids.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try your set up. I didn't consider getting tangled up. I'll let you know how I do.

·
Registered
280 Posts
From my past experience when casting a large weight carolina rig the weight tends to get in front of the hook when casting and the hook and leader gets tangled around the main line and swivel. With a dropper rig the weight is already at the far end of the leader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts