Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone taking time to post fishing reports and other information. I'm checking in from central Illinois where I usually fish for smallmouth bass in rivers. I've finally been able to take some trips, self employed not willing to delegate but getting better at it. I've fished Pensacola area one week, Port St Joe several trips and Sanibel a couple times.
Last trip this January was to Mexico beach did good fishing the little harbor and small lakes connected to the ocean for sea trout. It was in the high 30s in the mornings not much warmer then Champaign Il. Mostly threw DOA 3"shad tail and some mirodine suspending lures. Slow retrieves with pauses.
Anyway I appreciate all the good information here. Quick question when do you guys throw a shad tail and when do you throw a fluke type bait. I will try to post a picture off of my phone. Usually we catch the fish throw em back and then go out for fish dinner. Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Flukes will imitate just about anything, but more importantly they are weedless if rigged like a jerkbait. Little more subtle than a mirrodine or hard jerkbait too.

I'll move to a mirrodine if the water is cleaner and they are chasing a little more. Usually my go-to in choctawhatchee.

Shad tail baits (swimbaits like a matrix shad?) I use to imitate a shrimp more so than a fish. They can go either way based on rigging and action though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip on the baby trout color. I was using a #17 and a #52 in the deeper water both worked. I've noticed if I'm catching smaller trout on DOA shrimp or shad tail put on a bigger mirodine and you get bigger fish.
The weedless fluke saved me one day after a big storm that left weeds floating everywhere.
I like the idea of using one lure to fill several different niches depending on how you rig it and how you work it. Don't tell the lure companies.Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts