Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
United States Sailor
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I guess you can say I'm new in town. Just graduated boot camp. I'm in the US Navy stationed at Pensacola Naval Air Station. I'm trying to get a feel for the area and find out all the hot spots to fish. As of now im strictly going to be landbased so if you pier and bridge guys could give me the rundown that would be great. Im not new to it I've been fishing my entire life down in soflo. Even worked as a mate on drift and charter boats, However I know nothing about fishing in the gulf. Any info on good piers for kings and cobes would be great. Also how you've been catching them lately. Has it been red hot or is it slow this time of year? One more thing, ive got two 14/0s that are itchin to hit the sand, what beaches can you sharkfish off of up here? Any info would be great. Thanks. Tight lines!

·
Registered
905 Posts
welcome to pensacola. the first thing i would suggest is to hit the Alpha pier on base this weekend. there is a post somewhere in the pier/bridge section with all the info. you will catch everything there, kings, sharks, rays, all types of fish and yes even cobia. saw a dead one that someone filleted and threw the corpse back into the water last weekend. with all the rain we've had this month its been kinda hit or miss in the bay. once the bay clears out things will be back to normal.

·
United States Sailor
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See this is all new to me haha kings in the bay? Couldnt dream of that on the east coast. Which is alpha pier? Ive been here just over a week, still on phase one liberty but if I dont even have to leave base to fish thats great haha.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Welcome to Pensacola :D
PFF has tons on info do some digging and you will learn lots.
The Pass is the place to be.
If your are where I think you are. You can walk to the Pass.
Get a wire leader a big weight and a big rod.
Go behind Sherman cove, in deep water. Bring a chair.
Cut mullet, place on treble hook.
Set drag lite.
Get ready.
Better yet, save some money.
Buy a kayak.
Good luck. Be safe. Have fun.
Pm me if you like. I'll hook up with you.

·
Registered
905 Posts
See this is all new to me haha kings in the bay? Couldnt dream of that on the east coast. Which is alpha pier? Ive been here just over a week, still on phase one liberty but if I dont even have to leave base to fish thats great haha.
Its by port side if u know where that is. It's the south east corner of the base. You'll see everyone out there on the weekends as long as its open. The big coast guard ship is there.

·
Registered
14,132 Posts
Visit Sherman's Cove, check out the boats they have for rent.

That will put you in the middle of the Pensacola Pass to the Gulf of Mexico.

And yes, there are allot of military guys on the PFF. Most still live here, and some have moved on, and still visit here often, to get there Paradise Fix.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Yeah, it depends on the time of year.

The fishery here is unique in some ways.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If your going to be fishing on the bottom don't use a treble hook. There are a lot of species that you can not use a treble hook with natural bait like red fish, specs, sharks, etc. and that's mainly what you will be catching out there. Don't want anyone getting a ticket over it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If your going to be fishing on the bottom don't use a treble hook. There are a lot of species that you can not use a treble hook with natural bait like red fish, specs, sharks, etc. and that's mainly what you will be catching out there. Don't want anyone getting a ticket over it.

Unless there has been a change that I am unaware of.
A treble hook can not be used with live bait.
Cut mullet is a different story.
For Blues, Kings, Spanish, Reds or yes even sharks treble is the way to go.
If this is not legal someone chime in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts