Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm moving to Pensacola from Albuquerque, and want to learn to fish. I fished years ago in Missouri creeks and rivers but never was a 'serious' fisher-person. Bass Pro is near me now (Kansas City, MO) and I'd like to get a 'starter set' for in-shore (bay and sound) off dock/pier and from kayak. Can you all help me a list of what I need to show up with some credibility to then learn from the fishers around me?
Thanks -ABQ2Pen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bass Pro, as you may know, has millions of rods reels starting at $35! I'd expect a good quality starter kit ( do I need 2 rods??) would be within the range of $350-500 for all but PDA. Is that reasonable??

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd get a 3000 size reel. If you're wanting to go sub $100, get a Shimano Sahara. Expensive would be the Shimano Stradic. Power pro 20-30lb braid is pretty universal as well.

For rod, that's a tricky one. I was looking for new inshore rods a little bit ago, and reviews on a lot of them seemed to be pretty crappy. Tips breaking, rod guides breaking, etc.. So now I just use my freshwater fishing rods and haven't had an issue. Also makes it easy to use the setup in freshwater as well.

For baits, get a handful of Mirrodine MR17s, A super spook or two, a few gotcha lures, some sort of artificial shrimp, and some swim baits with jig heads. I'd recommend just getting all the baits here at Academy. Their prices are better than anywhere. Also, unless you're set on going to BPS, you can get the rod and reels here too.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Pretty much exactly what Josh said. I'd say just get everything at Academy here including rod and reel. Plenty of options there and they have a great return policy if you have any issues. Second the Stradic 3000 mentioned; that's what I've been using for years.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have been happy with my Shimano Symetre 2500's but if I had to pick a reel size for all-around purposes for kayak fishing I agree I'd probably go with a 3000 class.

Do you know where you'll be living / fishing / launching yet?

Reactions: AscendAngler
1 - 8 of 8 Posts