• Rhodan

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after nearly five years of being boatless, I've pulled the trigger on a new "TO ME"
boat. It's a 2017 Pioneer Sportfish 202 with a 150hp Zuke. 240 hours

I'm pretty stoked. Taking delivery Saturday morning.
I've been on one of these boats and they are very well built, nice fit and finish and an exceptional ride for a 20' boat.
I bought it based on the pictures, a video of the boat running and making the proper RPM and speed.
They sent the the results of a compression test and guaranteed me it is what it is supposed to be.
I can return it at my expense if I find it unsatisfactory for a full refund.
Just saying this because I know you guys are gonna roast me for not sea trialing it myself.
I have no doubt it is what they say it is.

That being said.
I am going to outfit it with a spotlock trolling motor.
Manual deploy.
Minn Kota?
Motor Guide?
Rhodan?
Which one??
I don't care about the price. All I care about is reliability and manufacturers warranty and customer support.
Also value the PFF opinions.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
8,957 Posts
That is a fine boat!!!! I think I see snappers flopping on the deck soon. The next trolling motor I get is the 72" Rhodan 24v with sams club Duracell AGM group 31's with a NOCO dual bank charger 20amp. That is good up to 24ft boats from what I hear.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dude!
According to the Factory service rep.
Who by the responded to my email within an hour!
I need a 60" shaft.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight Dude,
I'd rather have too much than not enough.
Likely go with 72"

·
Registered
275 Posts
I prefer my xi5 over the Minn Kota. I have used both about the same amount of times. Go 36V and longest shaft you can. If my motorguide goes out, I may try Rhodan next. Not that I have had any issues with my motorguide ( had zero, hope I didn't jinx myself ). Just have been hearing really good things about the Rhodans. I have my xi5 linked to my Lowrance that was already on my boat. That was another determining factor for me.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys think I need 36 volt, 120# thrust with a 20' boat??

·
Registered
889 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some fish pics on your new rig, congratulations!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have a 23ft NauticStar and sometimes my 36 volt 120# won't quite hold if there is a stiff wind and current going in the same direction. I think in your shoes if you want to err on the side of too much than too little, I would probably also recommend going 36volt / 120#.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I have an 80# 60” shaft on my 17’ key west. By the chart I could got a way with smaller but I’m glad I didn’t. I recommend longest shaft you can fit and more thrust than you think you need

·
Super Moderator
28,138 Posts
I would go 36 volt and as fer brand...my last 2 were Minn Kota so I will stick with them plus Shannon at Andalusia Marine will hook ya up!!!!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen.
Service is important. Andalusia Marine isn’t far from my home and I really don’t think the difference in MK and Rhodan is significant. I do like that Rhodan comes with mounting equipment.
Ill make a decision soon.
Ill post some pics Sat evening.
Gonna take it out for a shakedown on Saturday

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I have my xi5 linked to my Lowrance that was already on my boat. That was another determining factor for me.
This is something I don't see a need for. The last one I saw like this was linked to a Hummingbird. Their antenna system is Waaaaay less powerful than a Garmin or Simrad.

But to me.....You motor just short of the spot on OB...deploy TM.....ease over to the spot on OB.....Turn on TM and hit anchor....

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,121 Posts
CC, get a manual deploy 36 volt long as possible shaft Minn Kota. Good people at Andalusia Marine. Get the group 29 batteries from them also, Delco, good a price as anyone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts