Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trading a rifle for 2 kayaks tomorrow so that I can start getting into kayak fishing, I've never done it before, any pointers?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Not a pro by any means, but here's some random thoughts.

W/ an empty kayak, get out on the water and learn how to handle your yak.
Roll it over, paddle and turn and stop and start, get in , get out...may seem silly, but this will prepare you for when your yak is loaded.

Get something to hold fish, cooler or fish bag, rod holders, floating & waterproof, everything.

If fishing inshore, I've never seen any reason to tie stuff off, as I'm usually in water I can stand in.

If going off-shore, tie everything off or lose it.

I'm sure others will chime in.
Wonderful sport, enjoy and have fun!

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
Not a pro by any means, but here's some random thoughts.

W/ an empty kayak, get out on the water and learn how to handle your yak.
Roll it over, paddle and turn and stop and start, get in , get out...may seem silly, but this will prepare you for when your yak is loaded.

Get something to hold fish, cooler or fish bag, rod holders, floating & waterproof, everything.

If fishing inshore, I've never seen any reason to tie stuff off, as I'm usually in water I can stand in.

If going off-shore, tie everything off or lose it.

I'm sure others will chime in.
Wonderful sport, enjoy and have fun!
Go with someone else ... and if not, let somebody know when & where you are putting in & that you'll call when you put out. (At least then they'll have a time-frame & know where to start the search.)

Get/make a leash for your paddle. Stay away from high boat traffic areas. Wear a PFD Get a handheld VHF. Have a non-breakable signalling mirror & a loud whistle attached to your PFD

Oh ... and as 'barefoot' said .... make sure you are well practiced at getting quickly back in your yak & tie everything down.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Start inshore! Take some time to get used to the yak and its limits. I see guys buy a yak amd first time out they want to head out offshore in 2ft seas and 15mph winds. Learn what type chop and wind you can handle in your yak, have safety gear, go light your first few trips.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've gone out a few times inshore in my brother in laws kayak but by no means am I confident enough to go offshore yet. I'll probably be inshore mostly anyways as I'll probably only be going out with my father in law while we're at the beach with the wives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lots of good info here. I know these two are a must for offshore, but always wear your pfd (or have it easily accessible). Strap down your gear!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Lots of good info here. I know these two are a must for offshore, but always wear your pfd (or have it easily accessible). Strap down your gear!
Do NOT have it readily available. Wear it at all times. Trust me , i know. When it hits the fan , the last thing you want to think about is wears my life vest. Just my .02 worth

Scott

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was one of the stipulations with my soon to be wife, that I'd wear my pfd at all times when in the yak. I purchased an achor and some 550 paracord to build an anchor trolley system and all the attachments to build it. Gonna try and take it out this coming weekend and launch on the sound side of opal beach

1 - 9 of 9 Posts