Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, bear with me. I am new to hunting down here in Florida. I have the 2012-2013 Hunting regulations with me but would like some clarification. As far as deer hunting, it says Daily limit 2, Possession Limit 4. Does Possession limit mean the same thing as season limit? Or can I go hunting 2 days one week and get 4, then go two days the next week and get 4 more?

Also, at the top of the page where it tells the season dates, it says " Seasons, Dates and Bag limits do not apply to wildlife management areas". So if the seasons and dates do not apply to the wildlife management areas, when can you hunt those areas? Year round? I dont see any special dates listed. Since I do not own any property and really do not know anyone with hunting property, I will probably be hunting the Escambia River WMA, but since it says seasons and dates do not apply to WMS's, when can I hunt there and how many deer can I get?

I know, stupid questions, but up North it was spelled out a little bit clearer...... Someone help me make sense out of this.... How many deer can I get during general gun season, how many during muzzleloading season, and when can I hunt the WMA's?

·
Registered
89 Posts
On FWC go to WMA brochours an you should be able to find all the information you need. Good luck I have a few friends that hunt Escambia WMA above Molino that do pretty good they all travel by boat to spots off the river.

·
Registered
471 Posts
you can also go to the tag office and get the little books with maps and all for all.the different wma.it shpuld have bag limits and dates for them

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
You can kill two! Posses 4, we were givin the example like this. Two guys are haulin 8 deer to the processer, from a hunting club??? O couldnt make heads or tales but thats what we were givin as an example from an fwc couple years back! Whats not to stop somebody from shooting four?

But as stated wildlife management pamplets are your friend. I downloaded it on my phone to read while in the stand, lol.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not sure about Florida but the bag limit and possession limit would be something like this.

You go camping /hunting. The first day you kill 2 deer you can continue to hunt, next day get 2 more then you are done. Or you kill one a day for days. Technically, you shouldn't have more that 4 in freezer, unless there were more hunters in the household. That said it is unlikely for you to get your freezer checked.

As I said at the top, I don't know how this works in FL, but most states have very similar rules.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Possesion is possesion, once its game in the freezer, its for human consumption. Possesion is in your possesion at that time. That being said. I have two sons that hunt as well as a wife, lol. Im good for 16. Not that i would harvest that many? Its just silly, FL wildlife laws are questionable at best! IMO

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Not sure about Florida but the bag limit and possession limit would be something like this.

You go camping /hunting. The first day you kill 2 deer you can continue to hunt, next day get 2 more then you are done. Or you kill one a day for days. Technically, you shouldn't have more that 4 in freezer, unless there were more hunters in the household. That said it is unlikely for you to get your freezer checked.

As I said at the top, I don't know how this works in FL, but most states have very similar rules.
This

·
Banned
260 Posts
Possesion is possesion, once its game in the freezer, its for human consumption. Possesion is in your possesion at that time. That being said. I have two sons that hunt as well as a wife, lol. Im good for 16. Not that i would harvest that many? Its just silly, FL wildlife laws are questionable at best! IMO
This is how Mr. Murphy explained it to me and he has been with FWC for years.

·
Super Moderator
29,118 Posts
It's kinda squirely down here Doug.....Management (public) land has different rules and dates then private property. No doe can be taken on management land unless it's bow season or a "special" hunt. Where-as on private land there are 7 doe days where you can slaughter em!!!! Gotta brush up on the dates but if you are able to kill 2 "LEGAL" deer on management land in a day, you are doing great!

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
So if you kill the deer and give away the meat to family and friends only keeping 1 or 2 at anytime in your freezer you could kill 2 deer a day all season and be legal..that is per license holder in the home. Great management plan FL...LOL

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So basically its 4 deer per season, or is that 4 deer per year combined seasons? I realize hunting on WMA's the chance of limiting out is probably slim, but you never know, might get lucky.

You can only take bucks on the WMA's? That stinks.... I would rather have does then bucks cause I think the meat is more tender..... but I am not against taking bucks as anyone that has been to my shop can vouch for... LOL

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can kill does on a WMA if you start slingin arrows which would be why I'm bowhunting this year.
I used to bow hunt alot, but that is not an option any longer.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Crossbows are allowed during archery? all the time now I believe.
Only on private land. You still have to have a handicap permit on management land.

So basically its 4 deer per season, or is that 4 deer per year combined seasons? I realize hunting on WMA's the chance of limiting out is probably slim, but you never know, might get lucky.
Posession limit is 4 deer in your posession at any one time.
So if you and a buddy go hunting on Saturday and Sunday in seaperate vehicles you each can kill 2 deer per day for 8 deer total. But you can only posess 4 deer each. You would have to transport those 8 deer in seaperate vehicles. You could only have 4 deer in the back of your truck and 4 deer in the back of his truck.

Once those deer are butchered they are no longer considered a deer. If that were the case any one with more than 4 shoulder mounts in their house could be ticketed.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts

You can only take bucks on the WMA's? That stinks.... I would rather have does then bucks cause I think the meat is more tender..... but I am not against taking bucks as anyone that has been to my shop can vouch for... LOL
No. You can kill 2 deer every day of the season so long as you don't have 4 of them in the truck at one time.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
So if you kill the deer and give away the meat to family and friends only keeping 1 or 2 at anytime in your freezer you could kill 2 deer a day all season and be legal..that is per license holder in the home. Great management plan FL...LOL
It's an absolutely horrible management plan...I know folks that kill 6, 7, 8, 9 deer a year (legally) and give most of them away. I would like to see FL go to a tag a system and a season limit of 2, or even 4. If deer are overpopulated in any one area, then issue doe permits on a pay-per-tag basis.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you need to check them in anywhere like up north? Or is it just bag a deer and take it home, or in my case to the butcher....

Which WMA is closest to pensacola? Escambia or Blackwater? What local butchers cut up deer and what is the average cost?

Thanks for putting up with my questions and helping the new guy out! :)

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
No check in but some WMA's require it, that is another stupid thing each WMA has its own rules instead of 1 State rule. Just take them home so really no checking and they do not know what you kill or not. Had a guy pull up to the processor last year during doe week, had 8 does, asked if they needed the name on them to get done, they said nope, we don't need anything...WTF?

Depends on where you live as to which WMA is closer and I am not sure if those are the only 2, I would hazard a guess Escambia.

No problem all us hunters love to talk hunting.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, how do they keep track of how many are killed? Isnt that supposed to be part of the proper handling of the deer population, keeping track of how many are taken?

On another note, I have posted on another topic about whether to field dress or not, and seems the rule of thumb down here is that with the heat its best not to field dress... so on that note... when you guys say you got, lets say a 175lb buck, is that with or without the guts???? My biggest was a 200lb 9 point, but that was after being field dressed, so no guts..... I imagine the guts probably would have added another 50 lbs or so..... wouldnt ya think? Just want to make sure that if I get one big enough to brag about, I am bragging bout the right weight... LOL!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts