Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently moved to the area and trying to find some good spots to fish from shore. We love to bass fish but would love to catch catfish also. We are in pace and been trying some of local boat ramps on escambia river. I have seen a lot of post about spillway. Where is the spillway and can be accessed by car?

·
Super Moderator
28,304 Posts
Welcome Ally & Brian (assuming your screen name is what you were giving)... Only spillway I know about are at Monsanto off the river. Not accessible but by boat. Landlocked makes it hard to fish... Steve's Catfish Farm in north Escambia county has great cat fishing! Other then that, I say just hit creeks that go under the roadways and go discovering w/ light tackle. You can also wade fish the bay with some inshore gear, just look at some older posts... Be weary of snakes and gators....:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Welcome Ally & Brian (assuming your screen name is what you were giving)... Only spillway I know about are at Monsanto off the river. Not accessible but by boat. Landlocked makes it hard to fish... Steve's Catfish Farm in north Escambia county has great cat fishing! Other then that, I say just hit creeks that go under the roadways and go discovering w/ light tackle. You can also wade fish the bay with some inshore gear, just look at some older posts... Be weary of snakes and gators....:thumbup:
The pics of the spillway you see posted are from one of the dams in Alabama, there are people on the forum that are active members from Louisiana to Panama City and as far north as Birmingham

I would suggest a little light tackle inshore fishing though you can catch catfish off the banks of escambia and perdido though I haven't been nearly as successful from the bank as I have by boat.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Have you tried the Simpson River pier on the causeway to Pensacola?
Also a lot of people fish under the bridges on the causeway.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Take an hour drive Northeast to the Blackwater State Forest. Hurricane lake has plenty of shore fishing from both the North and South campgrounds. Bass, Bream and Catfish.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welcome. You will a great deal of info and some great folks on here. I go under hy 90 across from smith fish camp. Family trip would be hurrican bear lakes. Steve's catfish farm is awesome.good luck catchumup

·
Registered
379 Posts
Perdido River, Yellow River, and Blackwater River all have small lakes off the river on the upper ends. Perdido is all private hunting leases, so can't fish there anymore. Yellow is Eglin AFB and is hard terrain to access. Google maps and upper Blackwater can lead to some fine bass fishing if you are willing to wade the river to get to those small lakes. That's just one option but there are others. Think work a bit to get to water that can't be reached by boat and you will find some honey holes with surprisingly good fishing, especially in the Fall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. You will a great deal of info and some great folks on here. I go under hy 90 across from smith fish camp. Family trip would be hurrican bear lakes. Steve's catfish farm is awesome.good luck catchumup
Where do you park? What is the easiest way to access spot under bridge under hwy 90 across from fish camp?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts