Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a newbie to the group and to the area... visited many times with wife's family and love it...

Anyway, coming from NC with general pond fishing knowledge and a little salt/brackish water river fishing (Neuse and Pamlico Rivers near the Atlantic).

Would love links, books, tips, etc on what type rod and setup etc for shore, pier, and close offshore fishing in small boat. I don't really even know what type fish to expect at this point... so I feel like a total beginner.

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks!
-cb

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
go in outcast or hotspots...and talk to them...both places are very knowledgeable and can help you more than books will

·
Registered
25 Posts
I started fishing here about a year ago and have learned a lot about fishing here since then.

I started out fishing at the pier, I mainly targeted king fish. The main rig I would use for them is just a steel leader with a treble hook on the end, its pretty simple. I would use 20lb mono line too. I usually use a reel that can hold about 200yds of 20lb mono. A 7ft rod worked great for me.

With that setup I would buy frozen cigar minnows and hook them through the head. Then, I would go to the end of the pier and throw it out as far as possible and just let it drift.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
What type of fishing are you wanting to get into. Inshore, offshore, bottom, trolling, jigging and so on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not really sure if there is any nearshore wrecks in Pensecola (I fish out of Destin), but there probably is something.

Do you have a fishfinder? If you do you could probably get into some bottom fish and more kingfish.

Another thing you can do is troll duster rigs for king mackeral. I use pretty much the same exact setup as the pier rig, except you put on a duster rig tipped with live bait or frozen cigar minnows. You baisically troll about the end of the local pier's length off the beach, or at least thats how I do it. Do you have a GPS? You could probably get some coordinates to a nearshore wreck and troll over them with your duster rigs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the great replies so far.... keep em coming. i would be surf, pier or nearshore fishing on a fairly small rec boat for now... but would have a gps and depth finder. what about seasons? when most active/inactive there?
thanks again and sorry for the beginner questions...
cb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts