Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our Cape Horn we had an aftermarket hard top put on it when we bought it. The top is real nice with flush mounted LED's and flush mounted running lights, but the guy who installed it didn't do a very good job with the frame. I want mention who did the work because I don't like bad mouthing anybody. We've had lots of cracks in the welds and this last November during the SKA National we broke our rod holders on the back of the t-top. So we decided it was time for a change, and I contacted Marcus Kennedy out of Mobile who ownsthe boat Kwazar. He told me who builtall his tops. So I contacted Bob Conklin who used to own Offshore Towers which is now Eagle Towers. I took the boat to him 2 weeks ago and he looked at it and told me about all the weak spots and what we could do to make it right. SoI went and picked it up this past weekend and man what a job he did. He fixed all the welds that were cracked he added an extra brace in the front and redid the back of the top. The back of the top is now my favorite part of the boat and man is the top sturdy. On the back he brought 2 legs down to the leaning post, then added 3 rod holders above the backrest, above those he added 5 more rod holders, then put a rod holder on each leg right below the top, and finally he added slow trolling rod holders on my hand rails on the side. THis was some of the best welding I've seen in a long time. Here are a few pics of the work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's a great looking frame. I have some cracked welds on mine as well and looking to get them repaired so I would be interested in the approx. cost of this work and the guys contact info. It makes me sick everytime I look at one of these cracks! Is this a fairly common problem at the welds?

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,988 Posts
BIGRIGZ (3/30/2010)Looks sweet! any pics with it full of rods? I'd like to see that.

+1

·
Registered
399 Posts
Would love to see a side shot with some rods in backrest, then the 3 , then the 5, not trying to be to critical but looks like a lot of rod holders in a little area. I got a 04' 24 cape with 4 rod holders in the back rest and 5 in the rocket launcher on the back of the t-top and they get tangled up regular. What I do like about the top five, is the fact they are easy to get to, have to tippy toe to get to mine, and when a drift line hooks up, got to get on the gunnel to get it down.

BA

·
Registered
763 Posts
If in west side Pensacola... B&D welding does great work. Just did a 1972 42 Hatteras tower repair with 3 welds. I reported 2 and they found the third. Alsodid a SS bowrail repair (tree strike), that I can't even see the weld seam. +++++++

If in GB, Breese Fab does great work also.

Tom

·
Registered
574 Posts
i was thinkin the same thing a few more rod holders and you will be in bussiness. boy you get that thing loaded with rods you gas mmileage will be cut if half due to wind resistance. just kiddin looks great good luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want be down at the boat until next weekend, but i will filler up with rods and take a few pics for yall. Thanks for the compliments. I'm really happy with the work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts