Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out on the early to hit up my sheepie spot. Nada. Zip. Like nothing! :thumbdown: still kinda early so I keep waiting, get some nibbles and it's obliviously junk fish. Finally around 8 o'clock I get my first sheepie w/o a line break :thumbup:soon followed by another. Few minutes go by and I'm kinda dead sticking it, lifting every 6 secs for pressure and feel some, set hook and boom felt like I hooked into a log. It's a fish which came alive very quickly once it felt the hook and there it goes screaming drag. I can tell its a good one. Finally I land it after a tug o war. 23 inches, my biggest sheepie to date I think. 20 lb braid 1/2 egg weight # 5 or 7 black barrel swivel with 20 lb fluorocarbon leader to a #1 size hook offset for live bait.

No line breaks and after fighting that big sheepshead had it been 12 lb test it probably would've snapped my line even in open water. Freaking love the line set up now.

Attachments

Reactions: MSKittyMitchell

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Good to hear that line setup is working out well for ya man. :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crabs were the bait. I'm like GK I don't like using shrimp. I may have to switch soon to sand fleas, think they are getting use to seeing a crab dangle in their face. Be awhile before I go out again, have enough fillets right now.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
great job on catching those convicts they been running rapid stealing peoples hard earned money via bait.

sheepies have some of the best white meat out there looks like a new year feast to me, thanx for the heads up I just might go sheep herding soon enough I got some spots where the critter like to lay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts