Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the things I love about fishing this area is that there are so many different types of fishing available in a relatively compact area. Ever since I got here last year, I have been wishing that I could get a rig that would allow me to fish a wider range of conditions and styles- while also being more family friendly. I wasn't sure I could find a boat to do all of that AND still afford it...

Well- we really stretched the budget, but I think we got a keeper. Just bought this 2015 Robalo 226 Cayman. They've still got to install the trolling motor, charger and batteries, so I won't pick it up until next week- which means a lot of sleepless nights between now and then!

Even after that, I've got to wait a little while longer for the electronics package because I ordered the new Garmin 7608xsv which won't be out until probably mid to late February- so I guess I'll be doing a lot of inshore fishing until then.

I am so pumped, I never thought I would be able to pull it off this year- I figured this would be several years down the road! I spent so much time researching boats and learned a ton in the process. I think the Robalo stood well above the competition when it came to what you get for the price. I think it'll be a great fishing platform and also much more comfortable for the family.

Mark and Blake at Sunrise Marine are great to work with and have been very patient with me through the process and never made me feel pressured. Mark loves to talk boats and always took time to show me around and answer my questions, no matter how dumb. THANKS SUNRISE MARINE!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's got the Yamaha F200. Had a Yammie on my last rig and it was great, it basically sold the boat for me.

·
Super Moderator
28,635 Posts
Yessir...slick looking rig!!! Congrats on pulling the trigger!!!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Awesome looking sled. Now you have to get it bloody.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks lobsterman,
I can't wait to break it in with some fish slime. I may be calling you next fall to do up a custom semi-enclosure for the T-top.

·
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
1,263 Posts
Slick ride!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Thanks lobsterman,
I can't wait to break it in with some fish slime. I may be calling you next fall to do up a custom semi-enclosure for the T-top.
You mean something like this?

Attachments

Reactions: NoleAnimal

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Nice ride. Looks like you will be needing a net for your boat to keep the leaves out, but the boat can still get a lot of moving air.
Whyme
Mako My Dayo

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Awesome looking boat! Would you mind elaborating a little on why you chose this over other boats like sea hunt, blackjack, or the cape bay to name a few? I might be looking into a similar boat a few years down the road too and would love to hear your feedback since it seems you've looked a lot into it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Why Me,
That is a very intriguing idea. I've got a boat cover for it already, so I will see how that works, but I may end up going to something like you are using. Thanks for the idea!!

jgjohn,
I can talk for hours about why I chose this boat over the others because I did a ton of research over the last 6 months, so I'll try to keep it short. The two top things that eliminated other boats right off was 1) had to have a console that you could step into and room for a head. (I have a wife and two daughters that I want to get on the boat a lot more) and 2) the bench seat in the back was on the centerline rather than 2 jump seats on the outside. This made the wife and the small kids feel much more comfortable from a safety stand point and anyone sitting there is also a lot less likely to get spray and the seat is blocked from the wind some by the console.

In the range of 22' bay boats available, the Robalo is towards the higher end but certainly not at the top. That being said, I felt the Robalo was the best overall value for the money in terms of features and build quality. Some of the things that really stood out to me... the console access opens from the FRONT of the console rather than the side. Just a lot more convenient to get in and out of. The rod storage lockers are hinged at the front rather than the sides to allow access to them while the boat is on the trailer. The compartment that houses the 5 gallon bucket is hinged on the inside, allowing the same. The livewells in the rear are really large and really well finished (gel coated blue with dividers and excellent flow characteristics). The console has two molded foot rest positions making it very comfortable to both sit on and lean on.

Why I chose the Robalo over the brands you mention-

Sea Hunt BX 22 BR- jump seats on the outside and the console opening from the side plus the brand generally being a little more expensive

Blackjack - no head console option that I saw

23 Cape Bay - Sunrise Marine sells both of these and I hope they don't pissed at me intriugingfor saying this, but I looked at these two side-by-side and it was no contest. The Cape Bay was significantly more expensive without the corresponding increase in build quality. Further, the have no head console and the overall boat felt spartan compared to the Robalo. The Cape Bay is rated for more power and probably performs better in the really rough stuff, but if you are worried about that- then why are you looking at a bay boat? If you need something more capable offshore, then look at an offshore deep-v boat and Robalo and Cape Horn have a lot of good options there, as well. You could plug Pathfinder in here, as well.

I know I sound kind of like a fanboy, but a year a go - I was drooling over Sea Hunts and Tidewaters. I came to love this boat through a lot of research.

One boat I seriously considered, but ended up just being too up market for me was The Crevalle 23 Bay.

Hope that gives you something to chew on- let me know if you have any more questions.

Oh yeah, one last thing- the dealer here for Robalo is Sunrise Marine and they have been fantastic to me through this whole process and I am sure they just thought I was a tire kicker at one point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts