Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm in north Alabama so a trip down to purchase cost money and I knew I'd save sales tax thru Austin.
Austin has offered a 2016 PA as a replacement for the one here. However, I can not get it until after my vacation. I have a 7 day beach trip that I'd really like to get to fish, starting Friday.
I contacted Fairhope Boat Co. today and they have a new 2015 that they will match the price of the damaged one. I could get it on my way thru town.
Here is the kicker Austin night time customer service guy says they will not credit my debit card until they have possession of the damaged kayak. I can't have over $6K tied up in yaks for a week. I'm not sure what I'll do if ACK doesn't do the right thing in the morning.
Thoughts?
I would definitely rent if that is a possibility. Not to steal business from the Fairhope store, but I would not buy a 2015 when a 2016 is just a couple weeks away. Mostly because you will probably hang on to that mentally months from now when the urgency is gone that you somehow got "less". You planned a trip down to the Gulf for fishing and to not fish would also weigh on you for a long time coming. Will you spend more money having to rent? Yup. But in the scheme of things you already spent the big money for the trip. Not to mention the time invested. Why not try one of the kayak charters? Brandon (I think) runs a charter and I am sure that not only will the trip be fun and have a better chance of catching fish than fishing blind, but the insights you would pick up on layouts, technique, and other equipment/gadgets you would want would be well worth the money. As a disclaimer, I dont know Brandon and have no personal interest. I am sure there are others as well, but he seems to have at least taken an interest in your plight.

Just my thoughts....

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would definitely rent if that is a possibility. Not to steal business from the Fairhope store, but I would not buy a 2015 when a 2016 is just a couple weeks away. Mostly because you will probably hang on to that mentally months from now when the urgency is gone that you somehow got "less". You planned a trip down to the Gulf for fishing and to not fish would also weigh on you for a long time coming. Will you spend more money having to rent? Yup. But in the scheme of things you already spent the big money for the trip. Not to mention the time invested. Why not try one of the kayak charters? Brandon (I think) runs a charter and I am sure that not only will the trip be fun and have a better chance of catching fish than fishing blind, but the insights you would pick up on layouts, technique, and other equipment/gadgets you would want would be well worth the money. As a disclaimer, I dont know Brandon and have no personal interest. I am sure there are others as well, but he seems to have at least taken an interest in your plight.

Just my thoughts....
Best advice so far in my opinion by a longahot. I do not know Brandon either however I have used JD7.62 and it was a fantastic learning experience. I would definitely not miss out on an opportunity to own a 2016 PA. PS somebody needs to ensure this is shipped via a white glove service!

·
Registered
421 Posts
As others have said, you should at least rent a yak and salvage the vacation. Also, I believe there is tremendous value in hiring a guide and it wouldn't just be lost money b/c your PA wasnt available. They will show you techniques and a thousand little tricks that will ultimately save you time on the water by getting you up the learning curve quickly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It is a done deal. I'm waiting on the 2016. I really cautioned them on the shipping this time. ACK is really supporting the carrier that brought the first one. It belongs to them until I accept it. I sent the pictures to Hobie Corp and the guy replied that it looked like it was dragged from TX. to AL. They contacted ACK on my behalf as well.

We are down for a baseball tourney, so I'll just surf cast with the HS baseball team a few days, and get into kayak fishing on the next trip. I've been doing well on the Ft Morgan peninsula for years. I may check on a guided trip for later in the week. I appreciate all the input.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts