Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
i was looking at the elite 4 hdi and the mark 4 hdi for my trident 15, leaning towards the mark 4 because its $70 more for color

·
Registered
53 Posts
one nice thing I was reading aboout the mark 4 hdi and elite 4 hdi is you can overlay traditional sonar and donwscan on the screen to see fish and structure at the same time

·
Registered
262 Posts
Structure vs fish

Thats what Im talking about.

Ive tried three different type of rod holders to mount on the mounting boards of the PA and troll from the front like many guys do and I just dont like it. I was flounder fishing with front rod holders mounted over the weekend and they just kept getting in my way. Not to mention my short t-rex arms cant even reach them as easily as I can reach a rod behind me.

As for the transducer, the new Hobies like mine and the OPs are "lowrance ready" and mounting the unit is a breeze.

I do have the Elite-5 HDI and love it. I dont use the DSI much but it can be a useful tool at times. The more and more I use this particular unit, the more I realize that standalone DSI is NOT useful for offshore use. Next time Im out I will take screen shots of fish suspended around a reef but not directly over top of it.

With traditional sonar those fish will mark VERY clearly but not the case with DSI. Offshore, youre ability to find bait and fish is of primary importance, structure is secondary to that.
I just started fishing offshore last summer and got the elite5hdi over the winter. Haven't been out but just a few times now but can see that I will b primarily using the sonar. The DSI shows the bottom real well but most of the bottom all looks the same. Was out last weekend and two friends have DSI only and never saw a couple huge bait balls with big fish mixed n with them. Not sure now exactly how I should proceed n scouting. Look for large changes in bottom or just look for fish? What's your suggestion?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
i was looking at the elite 4 hdi and the mark 4 hdi for my trident 15, leaning towards the mark 4 because its $70 more for color
Color is worth $70 IMO.

All of the HDI models offer the overlay feature as well. I dont like because it jumbles up the screen too much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
is a 1/2" watertight fitting big enough to pass the cables for the elite-4 hdi into the hull?
Yes for the blue plug (transducer). I didn't really check on the power plug because I ran the cut wire end through the hole. The power / red is a hair bigger than the blue.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts