Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I'm moving to Navarre in a couple of weeks. I've never fished from a kayak before, but I'm really excited to get started. I'm looking at probably buying a Malibu Extreme. I figure I'll stick to the bay until I'm really comfortable, but I definitely want to get out on the gulf.

Can you guys give me some warnings/pointers/tips for getting started? Assuming I go with the Malibu Extreme, are there any mods that you would deem "absolutely necessary"? I notice outrigger mods are pretty popular. Do they just make it easier to get through the surf? Is it reasonably possible to get through the surf without them?

Please throw your 2 cents at me if you have any advice as to the right technique, mods, gear, tackle, etc.

Thanks!
-Craig

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you've at least kayaked before I would just pick a nice calm day and hit the beach. Make sure you've got your safety gear and a buddy. I've been out in the bay in worse conditions then I've ever been in the gulf. A good carbon paddle goes a long way, you would be surprised the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts