Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently retired from the Corps, own a Mako 234 twin 150 Mercs. Wanting to get off shore but quite frankly don't know where to start. I know a Capt's #'s are sacred but are there any that some might share, even one or two, that might allow me to start my life of off shore fishing. 10, 15 20 25 miles off is about where I wanna be. I live in Huntsville , Al, and there ain't no tuna/marlin/dolphin/reds/ etc etc in the Tn river. I drive to the Destin area 4 or 5 times a year and have a trip scheduled for 1 December 07. Anyone who might be willing to point me in the right directionwith any advise or information you are willing to share would havemy gratitude and thanks. Please drop me a line at [email protected]with any advise you might wanna share and if you are ever up this way, or when I am down your way, the steak dinner will be on me.:usaflag

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Welcome SgtMaj, first off, thank you for your service to our country. If you take a look at this web site, http://mbtdivers.com/Dive%20Sites/divesites.htm you can find many public numbers which can produce some decent fish. Also keep an eye on your bottom machine while going to and coming from some of the wrecks. You can generally pick up some bottom sturcture that's not mapped and find some fish there as well. Good luck to ya.

·
Super Moderator
28,603 Posts
Welcome to the life of Honey-Do's, instead of Happy Retirement huh? Thanks fer your service in the Corps... My Papasan retired from the Corps 29.5 years as a Lt. Col. but instead of fishing and hunting he sits on the computer...can't get him to do anything.....

BBOB on the forum here is a retired marine and would be a great guy to hook up with but like you said #'s are sacred...but common 1's you have no clue about he'd gladly share....

:usaflag

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information, I so do appreciate it. I will contcat him BBOB, and see what he might share. THANKS AGAIN! Oh and if your papsan won't take you fishing, come along with us!

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Get yourself a Hiltons chart,lots of great info in there to help get ya started on where to go. What type of offshore fishin are ya in to,trolling,bottom bumpin,casting at weedlines,etc? Oh yea,enjoy your retirement,Thanks:usaflag

·
Registered
512 Posts
Congrats on your retirement. I retired from the Navy last year after 23.5 years.

A Hiltons chart would be a great investment and they're relatively cheap.

The edge would be a great place to start in December. It's a huge area with lot's of traffic that will give you a warm fuzzy until you're comfortable adventuring out farther on your own. In December you can dig for grouper and flatline for Blackfins at the same time.

Also, Sherman Cove Marinaon NAS Pensacola is available to you as a retiree. It's only a mile from the Pass.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
SgtMaj probably your best bet if you have room on your boat is to post in the need a crew section below and ask for help. I dont know your level of experiance with the boat but you can allways learn something new. There are some great folks on the forum that will bend over backwards to help others. I know RBFloat is without a boat and fishes Destin pretty often.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
PM me and I can hook you up with a few decent numbers and maybe give you some pointers. What type of fishing are you going to try to do. Trolling or bottom fishing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts