Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a f&s eagle talon 12’ kayak and I’ve been out a few times. I fished fresh water as a child and I used to do some gulf fishing. I took up surf fishing about 6-7 years ago and I still enjoy it. The kayak fishing is a different experience and is more of a learning curve than I expected. So far I ain’t caught nuffin but a lizard fish 😐. I’ve been throwing top water and gold spoons and gulp on a 1/4 oz jig head. Something kept biting the tails off my gulp the other day. So far I’ve fished the sound and the mouth of Blackwater and the Simpson river area. I’m trying to blame my luck on the tides being high in the middle of the day. Am I missing something? I’m just curious to hear you guys thoughts.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Pinfish love those Gulp tails. Structure is key to most fish, be it rocks, wrecks, oysters, pilings or grass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it might be pin fish getting my gulp. I guess I just need to keep on keeping on. It’s mid summer now so I’m assuming the fish will soon start coming into the upper bay system when it starts cooling off?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got the same Kayak. Just bought mine about month ago. Have you done any upgrades yet. I just bought a few Skottys rod holders and a box to add to the back of the kayak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No upgrades other than a boat cushion to sit on because the seat sucks! I decided not to put a box on it because I use a small bag. The rod holder up front seems too far forward but if it was any closer it would probably interfere with paddling I think. I’m still figuring it out though so all that may change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive had big mullet and mangrove snapper bite the tails off my gulp swimmers. once it happens, switch to non gulp bait cuz they will take all the tails and force you fish for these small mouthed thieves.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Tie on a short sabiki with bits of your gulp on the hooks, catch those little pinfish and then put the pinfish on a bottom rig hooked through the mouth. :thumbsup:

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Find some good grass flats that are loaded up with bait and you will find the fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts