Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

New Florida Boat Owner License Requirment

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Jack Hexter 
#1 ·
This is reprinted from the Apr/may 2010 issue of Boat U.S. Trailering magazine:

http://www.trailering-digital.com/trailering/20100405#pg7

So what are they saying? A 21 y/o or younger, first time boat owner doesn't need any safety training but 90 days later he suddenly becomes stupid and now is required to take a course. :doh

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

See less See more
#2 ·
What they are actually saying is you have a 90 day grace period to get your license.

#5 ·
Luckly im 4 years older then that date but i would hope if i wasnt that my 200ton master would be good to go for that. seems to me anyone with a masters license should be good to go without that...if we are qualified enough to run big boats i dont see why we arnt qualified enough to run small boats.

#6 ·
FlounderAssassin (4/10/2010)Luckly im 4 years older then that date but i would hope if i wasnt that my 200ton master would be good to go for that. seems to me anyone with a masters license should be good to go without that...if we are qualified enough to run big boats i dont see why we arnt qualified enough to run small boats.
That's what I was thinking. I was born in '85 so it doesn't matter, but I was still wondering.

I know when they came out with the first requirement it wasn't a photo ID, you just went to the tax office and picked up a test, filled it out, and sent it in. They sent you a card in the mail.I guess they came out with new requirements and movedup the birth date deadline by about ten years.

#7 ·
i remember when i was youger (pre 16) i had to have one if i wanted to operate a boat and didnt have a Drivers License...then once i got my DL that was all i needed. i dont think its a bad idea to change that and make everyone have it but i also think that if you have a USCG issued License that should be more then enough.

#8 ·
Flounder, I agree your Master's license should be more than enough but you don't carry it with you all the time when on the water. I hold an OUPV and was grandfathered in in AL because of age. I took the test anyway just to see how it was.

Got them all right except the state said I missed one. The question was something like does a sailbote always have the right of way? I answered no because it has to be under sail to have ROW. Argued with the examiner to no avail.

My advice, just get the license and lets worry about something else..

Good Luck.

#9 ·
Instant Karma (4/10/2010)Flounder, I agree your Master's license should be more than enough but you don't carry it with you all the time when on the water. I hold an OUPV and was grandfathered in in AL because of age. I took the test anyway just to see how it was.

Got them all right except the state said I missed one. The question was something like does a sailbote always have the right of way? I answered no because it has to be under sail to have ROW. Argued with the examiner to no avail.

Good Luck.
I was born in 84 so i dont need it and you are correct...i dont carry my License with me when i go out on my boats so that is a good point that i had not thought of.

#11 ·
FlounderAssassin (4/10/2010)
Instant Karma (4/10/2010)Flounder, I agree your Master's license should be more than enough but you don't carry it with you all the time when on the water. I hold an OUPV and was grandfathered in in AL because of age. I took the test anyway just to see how it was.

Good Luck.

I was born in 84 so i dont need it and you are correct...i dont carry my License with me when i go out on my boats so that is a good point that i had not thought of.

Sailboats do not have the ROW in many situations (even when under sail ie: when overtaking, around fishing vessels, vessels constrained by draft etc.), and guys lets not be ridiculous...of course a USCG Masters license would be sufficient, but consider the several situations that you may not want the FWC or USCG officers to know that you are a licensed Captain, ex. especially if you are on someone else's vessel (liability reasons) or perhaps doing something you maybe should not be doing. It might be the more prudent option to produce your FL boater safety card. $.02

#12 ·
You can take the course online here http://www.boat-ed.com/fl/index.htmand don't pay until you pass the test and get your Florida Boating Safety Education I.D. Card.

Additional Informtion<H3><A name=educ></A>"Updated" Boating Safety Education Requirements</H3><UL class=Body><LI>Anyone born on or after January 1, 1988 who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more must pass an approved boater safety course and have in his/her possession photographic identification and a boating safety education identification card issued by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.</LI><LI>The following operators are exempt: <UL class=Body><LI>A person licensed by the U. S. Coast Guard as a master of a vessel.</LI><LI>A person operating on a private lake or pond.</LI><LI>An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is least 18 years old and possesses the required Boating Safety Education Identification Card, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.</LI><LI>An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is exempt from the educational requirements, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.</LI><LI>A non-resident who has in his or her possession proof that he or she has completed a NASBLA-approved boater safety course or equivalency examination from another state. </LI><LI>A person who is operating a vessel within 90 days after the purchase of that vessel, provided they have available for inspection aboard that vessel, a bill of sale meeting all the requirements as established in Chapter 328.46(1), Florida Statutes. </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]

Frequently Asked Questions http://myfwc.com/SAFETY/Safety_Boat_Safety_FAQs.htm

#13 ·
You can take the coursethrough BoatUS for FREE.

http://www.boatus.org/<P class=style3>Steps to Meeting Florida Education Requirements

<SPAN class=style4>Step 1: <SPAN class=style4>Meet the age and horsepower requirements above.
Step 2: <SPAN class=style4>Pass the BoatU.S. Online Course for Florida and get your free certificate.
Step 3: <SPAN class=style4>Turn it in to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for your state issued card.<P class=style4>Submit your name, date of birth, return address, phone number and a copy of your BoatU.S. Certificate to:
<SPAN class=style4 style="MARGIN-LEFT: 45px">Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
<SPAN class=style4 style="MARGIN-LEFT: 45px">Division of Law Enforcement Boating Safety Section
<SPAN class=style4 style="MARGIN-LEFT: 45px">620 South Meridian Street
<SPAN class=style4 style="MARGIN-LEFT: 45px">Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600

#16 ·
I know this is going to get mixed reactions, but personally, I think there should be like a boat drivers license for everyone. GOD knows to many morons out there think that since i an afford the boat, i can drive it. Fresh or salt water, I have nearly been swamped more than once by idiots who have no idea what a wake is or that WOT is not the only setting for the throttle, I HAVE BEEN hit by a dipshit who thought that a boat steers like a car and didnt realize that a boat can move sideways if the wind blows (at least it didnt hurt anything but his feelings) Just my .02cents

#17 ·
FlounderAssassin (4/10/2010)Luckly im 4 years older then that date but i would hope if i wasnt that my 200ton master would be good to go for that. seems to me anyone with a masters license should be good to go without that...if we are qualified enough to run big boats i dont see why we arnt qualified enough to run small boats.
I would like to believe that if you qualified enough to run big boats you should be qualified to run small boats but I know a few guys that I go with that run tug boats and ships and they can't seem to operate thier small boats. The guys I know seem like they can blast through 4-6ft seas at 40mph. I'm not saying this is true for everybody.

#18 ·
afishanado (4/13/2010)You can take the coursethrough BoatUS for FREE.

http://www.boatus.org/<P class=style3>Steps to Meeting Florida Education Requirements

<SPAN class=style4>Step 1: <SPAN class=style4>Meet the age and horsepower requirements above.
Step 2: <SPAN class=style4>Pass the BoatU.S. Online Course for Florida and get your free certificate.
Step 3: <SPAN class=style4>Turn it in to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for your state issued card.<P class=style4>Submit your name, date of birth, return address, phone number and a copy of your BoatU.S. Certificate to:
<SPAN style="MARGIN-LEFT: 45px" class=style4>Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
<SPAN style="MARGIN-LEFT: 45px" class=style4>Division of Law Enforcement Boating Safety Section
<SPAN style="MARGIN-LEFT: 45px" class=style4>620 South Meridian Street
<SPAN style="MARGIN-LEFT: 45px" class=style4>Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600
<P class=style4>Great information, I didn't realize the Boat U.S. course was free and still qualified you for the State issued card. I'll take free anyday over the $30 fee of some of those other courses.

#20 ·
RPM (4/13/2010)I wonder if a tourist renting a jet ski has to have one. ????

The answer is yes, unless that person falls under this exemption:

Anyone born on or after January 1, 1988 who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more......

A non-resident who has in his or her possession proof that he or she has completed a NASBLA-approved boater safety course or equivalency examination from another state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.