Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new bottom rod and reel and would like your imput on what works best for you and why. I have been looking at the Shimano TOR30 and would like any feedback you have on this reel also.

Thanks

Lucas

·
Registered
75 Posts
Torium 30's are great and versatile. I have caught just about everything on mine. Torium 30, 65lb power pro, Shimano Tallous rod - great combo. The high speed retrieve is awesome for fishing up to 300'. Have caught big snapper, grouper, yellow fin tuna, black fin tuna with no problems. Liked it so much, bought my wife a Torium 20 to use. I sold my Penn 6/0 and 4/0 because they have been sitting in the garage.

Steve

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
The torium 30 is a great all around reel for the money. I've caught tuna up to 115 pounds on them and the 6.2:1 gear ratio is good for getting that grouper out of his hole quickly. Just make sure you back your drags off after fishingbecause the toriums have thinner drag washers than some of the more expensive models. I've never had a problem but I've heard of them wearing out quickly. Probably more human error than equipment error. If you don't mind forking out a couple more dollars, you should look at the new shimano tyrnos 12's and 16's. They are around the same size as the torium 30 but produce over 30 pounds of drag. They also make the same models in two speed versions.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ima Penn guy... I guess I kind of have to be but I have several suggestions for you if you just want it for bottom fishing.

If you want something simple then you can always go with the special senators. The 114h which holds 475yds of 50mono and has 2.9:1 gear ratio giving you about 28in of line per crank. Also the 114HLW which is the same reel as the 114H except it holds 600yds of 50lb mono. These are two very good choices that you can beat around and they will still hold up. You can get them at a very reasonable price too.

If your looking for somthing thats a little more expensive then you can go with Penn torque reels with the integrated side plates. Not just because I work somewith Penn fishing tackle but I personally think these are one ofthe greatest offshore reels ever made. The Torque300 holds 300yds of 30lb mono but I would go with braid if I had it. It has a 6.3:1 gear ratio, 5 stainless steal ball bearings, and gives you over 4feet of line per crank. Its faster and more powerful than the TOR30. I do like the TOR30 though and you cant go wrong with any of these reels. Penn also just came out with the Torque 300 lever dragreelif you prefer a lever drag over a star drag.

Brant Peacher

Fishing Tackle Rep

850-450-3878

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
torium 16. No reason to have a 30, it just has a bigger capacity, and is much heavier. Get the 16 and spool it with 65 or 80 Power pro.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you want to save a little money buy a shimano speedmaster. They have a 6:1 ratio and are tough as nails. I have used them for at least 15 years and have had no problems with them.

·
Super Moderator
7,119 Posts
If you have folks aboard from time to time that dont know how to level the reels then go with the Tekota 800's. Basically the same as the Torium but w/ a level wind. Some folks say that levelwinds just have more parts to break but they are worth it for ease w/ less experienced anglers. I have both Toriums and Tekotas. No problems in 5 years.

Have a good one,

Mike

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
For stictly bottom fishing, you can't beata 4/0 or 6/0IMO. I am a shimano guy, but Iuse these for bottom fishing. You can beat the heck out of them and they still work, look at the charter boat and almost all of them use 4/0's for snapper fishing and 6/0's for grouper fishing.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
wishiniwasfishin07 (12/12/2007)torium 16. No reason to have a 30, it just has a bigger capacity, and is much heavier. Get the 16 and spool it with 65 or 80 Power pro.
is the torium16 built with the same drag capabilities and sized gears as the 30?

thats like saying you dont need an 80w to target big billfish, you just need a 30w with braid. that theory is wrong because you simply cant put the pressure on a fish with a 30 as you can an 80 or 130. the guts are different.

capacity is not the only difference in sizes of reels - even if they are the same make.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help, I have a better understanding of what I need now so I just need to talk the wife into letting me get a new rod and reel.

Thanks

Lucas

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
nb&twil (12/14/2007)
wishiniwasfishin07 (12/12/2007)torium 16. No reason to have a 30, it just has a bigger capacity, and is much heavier. Get the 16 and spool it with 65 or 80 Power pro.

is the torium16 built with the same drag capabilities and sized gears as the 30?

thats like saying you dont need an 80w to target big billfish, you just need a 30w with braid. that theory is wrong because you simply cant put the pressure on a fish with a 30 as you can an 80 or 130. the guts are different.

capacity is not the only difference in sizes of reels - even if they are the same make.

yes it is true. The guts are congruent, the capacities is the only thing that is different. The 16, 20, and 30 are all rated for 20 pounds max drag.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If planning on a grouper fishing rod, can't go wrong with the Penn 6/0. Your going to crank the drag down to get a fish off the bottom anyway. They are easy to fix and have probably caught more fish than the others combined. I wouldn't use it for an all around reel, strickly bottom bumping. You really need to build up a good quiver to have the best of every type of fishing. my .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts