Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new p-cola bridge meeting

there is a meeting at 5:30 pm, at the civic center thursday . to take public input on where to put the new pensacola bay bridge, to the east or west of the old bridge.
all are welcome please go . and tell them that you want the old bridge saved for a drive on fishing pier. on both sides . and the middle span to be put out in the gulf of mexico as a fish reef.
thank you
scot​

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Where can we send an email to voice our opinion on location? I know some of us will not be able to make it but would have liked to.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will find out and post it up for you . we still have some time , they are just taking public input at this time . the most inportan thing is that we save the old bridge for a fishing pier . and reef the middle section !

·
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
687 Posts
Keep up the good work!
It'd be GREAT to have the current bridge as a fishing bridge :thumbup: :yes:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the FDOT Pensacola Bay bridge replacement meeting last week. Due to the large size of the replacement structures (6 travel lanes, 4 break-down lanes, and 2 bike/pedestrian lanes), all of the proposed options include demolition of the existing bridge. Mike Williamson is one of the strongest proponents of the proposal to keep the existing bridge for fishing

We can be certain that at least some of the existing concrete bridge will be demolished, therefore we should attain a strong grassroots movement for reefing every suitable piece of the old bridge. Comments can be submitted online at www.pensacolabaybridge.com. Here is some sample language:

When the I-10 Escambia Bay bridge was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan, FDOT listed deploying the concrete demolition materials to create artificial reefs as the preferred disposal option. This was accomplished, and the benefits to marine life, recreation and local & state economies will be reaped for decades. As the replacement of the Pensacola Bay bridge is planned, artificial reefing should be an integral part of the project. Public funds expended on replacing the bridge will be best utilized in this proven mechanism for economic and ecological returns on investment. Escambia County maintains permitted artificial reef sites and reef deployment management to repeat the successes of the I-10 reefing project.

Thanks,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts