Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at buying a new Cape Horn 24. Buying a new car is easy since it's easy to find out what the dealer paid and what is a fair markup. With new boats I'm lost. The last boat we bought was a 97 Cape Horn 21 and in my gut I know I paid to much. Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
before I bought my last boat I shopped around and went to several different dealers. There wasn't a huge difference in price but there was some 'wiggle room' with options and 'we'll throw this in' stuff. Difficult to find new boat prices online -- there are a few available but usually it's a 'call for price' deal. I feel your pain and I probably paid too much as well.

·
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
1,263 Posts
That's why you should consider buying a well equipped used boat. The depreciation rate on a new one is astronomical. If I'm not mistaken, there's two beautiful Cape's for sale on this forum. With a new boat, you'll spend the better part of the first year working the bugs out, on a used boat, the owner has confirmed and fixed everything for you. Plus he probably has all the bells, whistles, and safety gear you'll probably end up buying yourself.

Good luck and I hope you find your dream machine! :)

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.co...win-yamaha-f150s-warranty-till-2017-a-447681/

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f50/2013-cape-horn-27xs-w-v-6-200s-471761/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I have never considered a used boat but I will now after looking at the dealers asking price. Thanks for help. The two Cape Horns listed above are very interesting. I can't believe the prices have gone up so much since we bought our 21 in 1997!

·
Super Moderator
28,630 Posts
I can't help ya w/ a new boat...never owned 1. Have had several used ones. Really depends on your position. Don't think to yourself a new boat can't/won't have issues though.

·
Super Moderator
28,630 Posts
Thanks. I have never considered a used boat but I will now after looking at the dealers asking price. Thanks for help. The two Cape Horns listed above are very interesting. I can't believe the prices have gone up so much since we bought our 21 in 1997!
If it's anything like cars, my last 2 trucks have been new. 2010 list was 39K, and my 2014 was 48K! Up almost 10K in 4 years......:shifty:

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Remember, you get what you pay for. Spending extra might get you a clean boat/motor.
Good luck and take your time. Winter time is the best time to look and buy a boat.
Also, have a check off list of things to look for and ask about.
Whyme
Mako My Dayo

·
Registered
753 Posts
Have a certified mechanic you trust thoroughly check the motor. It's pretty easy to tell if a used boat has been taken care of but may not always be an indicator of the condition of the motor. In 2011 I bought a 7 yr old boat with 56 hours on it. Motor checked out well but I still dropped about $4K into it over the next 3 years until it finally gave out last spring at just over 200 hours. 4 years ago I'd never thought of buying a new boat. Last summer I did just that. Negotiated a 6 year warranty on the Yamaha SHO. I no longer have that brief moment of doubt before turning the key if the motor will start. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts