Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the different types and size of fish in the Bays and Gulf, What do you guys carry on your boat, a good size net ?, or a Gaff ? or both ?.

I am just curious, I keep a heavy duty net in my boat, that can handle a 36" fish with no problem.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I carry both, but prefer the net, especially when catching reef fish that will have to be tossed back. I have one of the nets made with the "plasticy" kind of material that's supposedly easier on their scales/slimy coating.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's a personal preference and depending on what you're catching and what you plan on doing with your catch. Most fish can be netted, toothy fish I'll either gaff or pop the leader if I don't plan in keeping em.

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
For inshore stuff, bottom fish and cobia, I prefer a net. All Pelagics are greeted with a gaff.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
The rubber coated nets are the best thing since sliced bread. No more fish tangled in the net or treble hooks to get out. The fish just slide out.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,190 Posts
For inshore stuff, bottom fish and cobia, I prefer a net. All Pelagics are greeted with a gaff.
This.

The rubber coated nets are the best thing since sliced bread. No more fish tangled in the net or treble hooks to get out. The fish just slide out.
And this.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slang

OK, there you go with that Slang again :), What are Pelagics ???:D.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Bearded Brotula
14,190 Posts
OK, there you go with that Slang again :), What are Pelagics ???:D.

Thanks
Kevin
Fish in the open sea/ocean.

Mahi, wahoo, tuna, etc.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gaff

Yep. Get a good rubber coated net and it will last for a while.

I already have a good Net, the real question is, should I have a Gaff too ?

Kevin

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you

Lol...pelagics is about as technical as it gets. Not slang. Open water fish like tuna, mackeral and such.

Thank you, But it still sounds like slang to a Northerner :D
I am not use to some of these saltwater terms :no:.

Kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts