Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda hesitant to ask an actual fishing related question on the forum anymore, but here goes....I was out scooting around in the shallows the other night with my skiff hoping I might be able to see a flounder or two through this nasty brown soup that has been around since Ida.. I gave up after about an hour because I couldn't see the bottom past about a foot. So no flounder, but there were hundreds of pretty decent size needle fish everywhere. I got to wondering if they have any value as bait for trolling? Anybody ever had any luck using them? Seems like they could be rigged much like a ballyhoo.:unsure:

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Rapala Slivers are based on needlefish. I've never trolled a needlefish, but I have snobbled them and had Kings, blackfin and a sailfish hit them. If there is a cuda anywhere around, he'll outrun everything to get that needlefish.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I always called them Hound Fish. Never used one for bait though.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Rapala Slivers are based on needlefish. I've never trolled a needlefish, but I have snobbled them and had Kings, blackfin and a sailfish hit them. If there is a cuda anywhere around, he'll outrun everything to get that needlefish.
This here. I know there are people who use them for sails.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it is kinda an unknown. I may have to scoop up a few to try out.

Speaking of Ballyhoo, I've seen a few decent size ones around at night also. What is the best way to target them? The most I have been able to get a cast net over is maybe two or three at a time. Is there a more productive way to go about it?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Let us know if you do any good with them; we often see big ones on the Gulf side around Ft. Pickens when we take the kid to the beach, could probably net some.

·
Bearded Brotula
13,827 Posts

Speaking of Ballyhoo, I've seen a few decent size ones around at night also. What is the best way to target them? The most I have been able to get a cast net over is maybe two or three at a time. Is there a more productive way to go about it?
Buy flats of them at the tackle shop.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

anchor and chum then cast net them

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,626 Posts
What else does that harness hold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't think you want to be on the receiving end unless that's the way you swing. There's some documentary's about that.

Reactions: MrFish

·
Bearded Brotula
13,827 Posts
You are the only person that mentioned ass raping…Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure you understood Kanaka's post.....

·
Bearded Brotula
13,827 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts