Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a boat that i can take out into the bays and maybe a mile or so out into the gulf on calmer days but i also would like to be able to go to lakes and be able to fish with it so i was just looking for some suggestions

Thanks

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Carolina Skiff j-16. On a flat day, you can go 8 miles out. You can still fish it like a bass boat in fresh water. A 25hp will push it fast enough to ski a kid as well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
+1 on a carolina skiff. a very solid boat. personally i would get a dlv 17 or 19 as the j series will beat the heck out of you even on a semi calm day. j-series are very versatile and would be great as a lake boat, but you did say gulf near-shore. i have looked at the 19 or 21 and would love to have a 21. not in the cards right now. i think the dlv is the best of all worlds. skinny water, inshore, offshore, and definitely lake. be careful on the rivers though. that shallow draft will have you thinking u can get in skinny, log and stump laden water. if you want a vhull then perhaps a 17 capehorn offshore series. reasonably shallow draft with better gulf/nearshore capability than the skiff but not as much deck space.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Look at the Lake and Bay brand, this is the <SPAN class=pageHdrs>Back Water 22', but they have bigger and smaller and may be what your looking for. Good Luck.

<SPAN class=pageHdrs>

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The Carolina J's and DLV's are tough boats, but will both beat you to death in a heavy chop. Anybody who says theywon't are in denial. What ever you decide on go with a true V-hull.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
You sound like you are in the dilemna I was in about a year ago.

Guess what...No boat does everything well. Period. End of story. That's why they make different boats.

You get a v-hull, and you will be able to handle the chop and go off shore. But you will sacrifice shallow water capability.

You get a shallow water boat, you will be able to go off shore, but how much of a beating will you be willing to take when the weather changes? You can pick your days but you WILL run into rough water and wish you had a v hull.

I ended up buying two used boats. My dilemna is now solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts