Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I know I dont post much but I need some help from the forum. I have started fishing more and i have decided that I am in need of a trolling motor. I have a 18.5 foot scout that weighs approx. 1800lbs wet. I have been told that I need a 24v setup. Your thoughts? I know it is going to bea bow mount. my 2 main choices are minkota and motorguide. Help i need some input. I went to bass pro earlier and left there more confused than when i went in. :banghead Any input would be appreciated. I am looking to stay under 900.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
There hasbeen two very good threads in General Discussion about trolling motors in the past week or so. One was Trolling Motors and the other More Trolling Motor Questions.

My rule of thumb... buy thestrongest you can afford or have room for batteries. I have 70lb on my 22ft and it's not enough but I had it on a 17.5 and it was fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i saw and read those. I just dont think i have the room for 2 batterys. I guess I will have to think about this some more. Jighead I met you while fishing under the bridge in gulfshores and saw your boat. What king of trolling moter setup do you have?

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Just went through this with a new bay boat. It's a pretty light 18 footer but BassPro guy recommended a 24v Motorguide.

Nice TM to be sure -- about 750 for the motor plus batteries.

BUT... .the boat doesn't have enough storage for two TM batteries plus a cranking battery.

Not to mention bad weight distribution.

So we returned the 24v and went to West Marine in Orange Beach. They had a 12v setup that is ON SALE for under $400. Works great for what we do.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I agree with Jighead. Get the biggest you can afford. I have an 82lb thrust on my 18? bass boat and am glad I went as big as I could.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
B3245 (3/22/2010)i saw and read those. I just dont think i have the room for 2 batterys. I guess I will have to think about this some more. Jighead I met you while fishing under the bridge in gulfshores and saw your boat. What king of trolling moter setup do you have?
I have a 70lb minn kota riptide with the wireless fob. I carry 4 batteries, two under back deck and 2 under console. 2 for trolling motor, one cranking, and another for accessories. One day I willchange the accessory battery and use for bigger trolling motor.

I used to have a 17 ft seafox that was very limited for space. I added two batteries for the trolling motor under my front deck. The casting deck had one hatch directly in front of the console. The hatch was just big enough for a battery. So I place one on each side just inside the hatch. Other than just having a trolling motor the extra weight seemed to help the boat plane faster. It may have just been in my head but it had no negitive effect.

I would give up storage space for a trolling motor. Having a trolling motor opens up so many different types of fishing it's well worth it. Maybe you should post a few pictures of your boat and some creative person may figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts