Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need tips on catching possums plan to release.

Recently had possums Momma & babies in my cabin cruiser started around beginning of may.due to idiot neibor are to lazy to roll garbage can down to street also to lazy to close the cans lid always bags of trash on the driveway it's disgusting.

I think I’ve flooded them out of vessel now there in the lawn mower shed actuelly all over the back/front/side yard there even across the street.

These animals are driving me nuts w/ the squeaking starting one hour before dusk thoughout the whole night.

I hear them squeaking but can’t see those devil eye’s. beginning of may first time I saw two babies I shinned the LED flash light on them & hypnotized they didn’t move.

I plan on noosing them but just cant see these devils it’s like squeak but where are you hiding?

planning to build a live trap but am worried I mite capture a skunk, what to do then to avoid being sparyed.

I’m not a hunter do I need a hunters license to catch and release posumms?

Thanks for any tips

·
Registered
246 Posts
Go to Tractor Supply and buy you a $20 trap, get some stinking sardines for bait and you will have one or some in the morning......Just be glad you don't have armadillo's, they are a lot harder to trap.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to Tractor Supply and buy you a $20 trap, get some stinking sardines for bait and you will have one or some in the morning......Just be glad you don't have armadillo's, they are a lot harder to trap.
this type https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JQV00?pf_rd_r=JEPS0NHF0NCR7GDXDMW9&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

been using sardines & moist cat food on the bucket roller trap I use for rats. couple posums where caught now are leary of this trap.

it's so weird late last night I spent over a hour w/ the LED flash light can hear just can't see them.currently building a live trap w/ sliding down door.

boat dude doe's he eat the stew or donate it to the real needy. I'm thinking they basicely eat crap so they probally taste lousy.thanks

it sounds like there are on the ground very close to me behind bushs, under my work bench and some lumber for my boat shed can they pitch there voice and are acteully up a tree?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Harbor freight sells a good live trap. I bought one 4 years ago and it's still working like new. I have trapped and relocated at least 30-40 animals with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,314 Posts
Trap baited with cat food....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Possums are the easiest to trap critters out there. Not smart, poor vision, good nose and ears. Any live or box trap and stinky bait will get them. I've caught several just by squeaking on the back of my hand, kicking 'em and grabbing 'em by the tail.

·
Registered
274 Posts
After you trap them, keep them in a pen for a week and feed them corn meal (to clean them out). Then invite your neighbors over for a BBQ. At least that is what my Grandparents did in Camilla GA.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I gave my homemade box live trap a couple days they didn't steal the bait not sure if any even entered also this trap is at the outside lawn mower shed in direct western sunlight. I do hear them squeaking in there I've got alot of stuff in there so waiting till next mow to empty.
I've read that the mommas don't like to expose the youngums to rain it's been raining frequently since the first few caught they are now juveniles so there probably own there own just squeaking to brother of sister.

so cruised by academy picked up the $40. trap. baited w/ moist cat food on a piece of cooked chicken skin.

here's the traps
1.diy live trap actually works kindof good
2.store bought live trap
3.bucket roller of death
4.conventionale spring rat trap
5. crushed styrofoam on water I think I invented this trap of death.

edit: I emptied a fuel tank w/ fuel in it since Nov. last cruise only about 1/2 gallon which killed the grass maybe the smell has them avoiding the area where I have the traps?

the squeaking continues.
new trap.jpg

next trap2.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update 6 days after the purchase of new trap something ran off w/ the sardines.

Previously the lizards slinks w/ blue tails where stealing the moist cat food pellets bait & not triggering doors closed.

Anyway last night something triggered both trap doors however the lock lever didn’t enguage flipping down to lock on one door.
I believe the animals tail prevented the lever to lock, lever was in the up position, where it should have been laying on door down position I set both locks down .could the animals tail lifted the door?. maybe this trap is to small an it backed out?

Edit: I was informed that the possum really like white powered dounuts I used ½
Of a small dounut in both traps result it eat the store bought traps but didn’t enter the DIY. I assume it was the Momma and was leary.

Edit2:since last Thursday purchase of new trap haven’t heard much squeaking only hear one squeaker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts