Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was using Windows Movie Maker, and as I get pretty far into the editing, it likes to freeze up on me.

Well, I keep saving my progress anyways, but it also has an auto save feture.

I got about8 hours into this diving movie, and almost done, and when I open the program back up after it has froze on me, it ask me if I want what was automatically saved,, somehow, it didnt put the movie back up on there, but I didnt notice, and I loaded some more clips on, THEN HIT THE SAVE BUTTON in case it froze!!:banghead I hadnt noticed that my movie I was working on editing was not on the story board!!!!

HELP!

I need something like a "restore" feture, I know there is a way to recover previous versions of saved files. I have been tryin for almost 2 hours to figure out how....

Please help!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Clay, if it in fact saved your project try this...Open Movie Maker, on the top drop down menu click onto "File"...then click onto "Open Project"...if it's saved it should be listed.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is saved, thats the problem. When I opened the program back up, It Automatically went to and "auto-save" pioint, I clicked OK, and began working on clips. But it did NOT open up the storyboard I had compiled, which I didn't notice.

So after transporting some more raw footage to MOvie Maker to work on, I clicked the "save as" under "file", and saved it under the same file name "dive Video". It asked if I wanted to replace existing, I said yes. I didnt even notice I dint have my story line I had been working on for 2 days at the bottom of the screen.

So I overwritten the file. ANd my saved version now has no progress.:banghead

Anybody know how to go back?????

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Clay...I got a call into Devin (Sysop), he's in Vicksburg,MS hunting. He should know if you are SOL or what.

Next time

By the way...NO hardware on the harnesses.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Sorry, but Ibelieveyou're s.o.l.

When you clicked Yes to replace the existing file you overwrote the existing file - there is no way to "undo" this. Had you deleted the file, then there might be a way to get it back. But, in the scenario you describe you are out of luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do you use an external drive for your edits? It might have saved it to the actual HD on your computer. Try searching both internal and external drives and while it might have saved it under whatever name you originally gave the project.....it might have given it a different name. It is probably a huge file so try searching folders, desktop, etc, for a weird looking or named file. I use Mac products and they give you the Apple Z option which when you depress both keys, it allows you to go back each time you depress both keys, up to 10 times. Can't remember if Windows offers such an option. Good luck, James

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thhat Apple Z button sounds exactly like what I ned. ANybody know if windows has somethin like that?

As far as an external drive..you lost me. I aint real smart wit cumpooters1:)

I do know that my D drive is a back up, used for a system restore. What pisses me off, is that the system restore, goes back and ONLY restores prograsm and system files to an earlier date. Wich in most case is good. If you get a glitch or bug, you can restore to the "snapshot" of the earlier date, without losing everything that has been changed since then like media files, word documents, pictures, ect.

BUT I WISH they did have the option to do a TOTAL system restore, wich includes ALL the files, to "rollback my computer to before I made that fatal mistake of overwritting.:doh

I googled, and saw they have software that you can install, were it keeps a copy everytime you resave any type of file, and runs in the background, so that you can open it it get a earlier saved copy. Of course I do not have this (may get it now!), but would be nice if windows had it installed allready!

This was gonna be my best movie to date. About 5 hours of raw footage from my underwater helmet cam, with only the best closeup, action footage edited down to about 9 minutes! More fish close up in this video than you would see at Seaworld! Action kill shots...ect, Oriskiny footage, Avocet, Anteras, Pete tide, YDT's Born again, Heron, Russian Frieghter, Morrison Springs,and lots of people in it...Scuba Sarge, FelixH, HatesCheese, Brandy, DK Diver, Rocklobster, GrouperNinja, My family, And of course some kick ass music!!!!

It looks like I will just be spending this cold weekend in front of the puter again. Already feel like my eyes are sandpaper.:doh

·
Praedator
10,015 Posts
When you get that camera in the hands of someone else, you will not have to sit through 5 hours of tape to get 9 minutes of good shots.:poke:letsdrink

Sorry, when you hit OK to overwrite, your work is 99.99999999999% gone.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
First of all a second HD installed in your PC case SUCKS. If having/wanting a back-up HD it really needs to be an EXTERNAL. You don't have to get fancy either. You can buy a External HD case http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=USB20-SATA-BLK&cm_mmc=googleproducts-_-ExternalDriveCases-_-3.5inUSBDriveCases-_-USB20-SATA-BLK&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=USB20-SATA-BLKthat hooks up to your PC via USB, and any compatible3.5" HD is fine,and includes a power adapter. This way with the On/Off switch it really isn't there. A second HD in your PC is venerable to worms, virus's etc. Not a external. They sell anywhere from $25.00 and up. Mine cost $25.00 and works great. Take any 3.5" HD..format it. I have a 40GB and a 60GB (not in yet as I just did a complete install) installed in my case and a 40GB as a external.

In this first screen shot notice that my external HD is not showing, I have it turned off. Look under "Hard Disk Drives" "Local Disk {C:}

On this screen shot you will see I have access to my external HD, just below my "Local Disk labeled C {D:}

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Tuna Man (11/23/2007)Clay...I got a call into Devin (Sysop), he's in Vicksburg,MS hunting. He should know if you are SOL or what.

Next time

By the way...NO hardware on the harnesses.
Just talked to Devin (Sysop)...Sorry Clay:banghead:banghead:banghead You are SOL.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Clay, If you are going to seriously mess around with editing video, you will need at least a 250g external/internal hard drive to backup your data. I shoot and edit in DVC PRO HD and I have 4 Terabytes of storage in multiple places . Granted you do not need that much to put something on you tube, but it helps. If you really want to get into this let me know and I'll give you a hand on my machine, James

·
Registered
120 Posts
what mello says is absolutley right. the reason your comp keeps freezing up is most likely due to a ity bity hard drive trying to cram a movie into the ity bitty space it has. hard drives are actually super cheap and increadibly easy to install. (but then there is loading all the programs like windows...) Anywho, you might invest in more hard drive space, probably atleast a 160 gig for your "C Drive", and then some extra gigage from an "external drive". Both those together wont run you more than a hundred bucks. check them out on this site. garanteed cheapest prices anywhere, www.newegg.com. as for your immediate problem (someone help me out here) cant you just do a restore back to a specifc date? like the day before you put all the newer stuff on the file? go ask a computer tech that. sorry bout your troubles tho, later!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for all the replies guys! My videoes won't be that great till I get something better than my $185 underwater digital camera. But for now it does all right. Also until someone like knot-a-yacht holds the camera instead of me chasin fish holdin a speargun with this thing strapped on my noggin...:poke

I do gotta say though, I love editing the video, adding music, ect....and good news....

I STAYED UP ALL FREAKIN NITE, AND REDID THIS THING!!! :letsdrink With a bottle of rum I managed to pull it off. Since I was drinking, I saved TWO seperat copies while I was working on the project, and took turns saving to the 2 different file namesso if I made the same stupid mistake again, I had the other one that was only10 minutes old or so.

I am gettin ready to load it on youtube, wich sucks cuz my already poor resolution camera, and youtube compresses it a lil more and degrades the quality.

But I appreciate everyones replies and support!!!!!:toast

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
allen_perkinson (11/24/2007)as for your immediate problem (someone help me out here) cant you just do a restore back to a specifc date?
NO Clay is SOL the moment the window asked if he wanted to "REPLACE" the file and he entered "YES"

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
aCTUALLY, AS FAR AS COMPUTERS GO, H2OArmond owns a computer store in Crestview, and he told meyesterday he is building a computer with huge memory, and editing programs specifacally for making video's. He also has a high end underwater case for a real video camera, and with the right filters, we will be making some sweet movies, like that Helldivers Video potin in the spearfishing section.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Stop programs running in the background. Speeds up PC.

Click "START"

Click "RUN"

Type in msconfig

Click OK

If you stop a program on start up that you want to load such as "ZONE ALARM" or a "Norton" program just go back and click onto the box. You wouldn't believe how much faster Start Up will be. Windows loads everything 80-90% you don't use. If you open something and that program is needed Windows will find it and open it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts