Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am still pretty new to fishing from a kayak. I have had a lot luck with inshore reds and specks but I really want to target some cobia this upcoming season. I do not have a kayak cart and I am assuming this is essential for bringing a kayak on the beach. Aside from this, what are some things I should think about when targeting these fish. I live in destin and will be willing to go out with some of you guys to learn the ropes.My tacklelooks like its going to be a 750ss with30lb braid, is this enough?Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
931 Posts
you cant really "target" ling from a yak bc of the height problem but since you live in destin id go to all the nearshore wrecks like the miss louise and just hope they litterally swim right up to you. if you wanted to go specifically for cobia the only thing i could think would be to anchor up and shum really hard.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
specslayer (2/24/2010)you cant really "target" ling from a yak......................................................if you wanted to go specifically for cobia the only thing i could think would be to anchor up and shum really hard.
Why can't you?

I've done it many times off our beaches over here in Gulf Shores. Your bottom line says it all; chum, chum and more chum. Yes you will catch kings and other stuff as well if you have a drift line out but if just want cobes just keep chumming with a bag of chum supplemented with some larger chunks of cigar minnows or menhaden. If they are running the beaches they will be there before too long. I've done this the past 2 seasons with very good reults.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Chris, the first thing you need to do is get a waterproof cell phone. Then, when you are out looking for cobia, give me a call. If I'm in the area, I'll come out in the gulf. Then all you have to do is paddle up, get in my tower and we'll look for cobia. Once hooked up, climb down and get back in the yak and land the fish...there's really nothing to it! And then I'll be around to take some sick photos.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
theflyingburritto (2/24/2010)So I am still pretty new to fishing from a kayak. I have had a lot luck with inshore reds and specks but I really want to target some cobia this upcoming season. I do not have a kayak cart and I am assuming this is essential for bringing a kayak on the beach. Aside from this, what are some things I should think about when targeting these fish. I live in destin and will be willing to go out with some of you guys to learn the ropes.My tacklelooks like its going to be a 750ss with30lb braid, is this enough?Any advice is appreciated.

I don't have experience with cobia yet. Planning on fixing that this year so if you want a wingman, PM me. However, there are a few things I've learned the hard way about launching and landing through surf. Might be info you already know, but better to have and not need than need and not have.

I have a relatively light yak (65lbs) so dragging it a short ways without wheels isn't a big deal for me. Try it with your yak and see how it feels. Remember that you have to go back the other way after you come off the water tired out.

Make sure you tie everything important to your yak. I've only tipped over once and that was in 1ft of water 15 yds from shore. But better safe than sorry.

My yak is long and narrow, not as maneuverable as others, so launching can be tricky for me sometimes. I'll usually walk over without the yak and watch the surf for a few minutes to time the waves and pick the least violent spot to try punching through. Then I'll drag the yak over and again stand and watch for a few minutes till I get a feel for the timing. Once I find the timing and a low set coming in, don't hesitate, Go go go punch it!

Coming back in can be tricky for longer yaks too, since the waves want to catch my back end and turn me broadside to them. Same as launching, sit outside the breakers for a few minutes and get a feel for the timing. As you're coming in, pay attention to the waves coming up behind you and try to adjust before they get to you. I've heard of people coming in backwards so they have a full view of the waves. I can't get away with that in my yak, but if you want, try it without any gear and see if it works for you.

Alex

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I'm also new to kayak fishing last year and looking forward to hittingthe surf for some fishing this year in the gulf. I think we all need to get together and hit it. Alex can lead the charge!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a small bit of info. I had a set of wheels for mine that were great for hard surfaces but worthless for the sand. You need some seeious balloon tires if thats what you want. i found pulling it across the sand MUCH easier even with the yak loaded. Its cheaper as well!

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
j_purdy (2/25/2010)When chumming do you use a drift sock, anchor, free drift? Thanks for the hints.

-Jason
If the wind and drift isn't bad I just drift freely. If drift is fast I may anchor or use a drift sock, or in my case a 5 gallon bucket tied to the back

·
Registered
179 Posts
chumming???? what's the best tactic for doing that???it sounds like an awsome idea for all kinds of species i'd like to give it a shot when it warms up a little..

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have found it is just as easy to drag my kayak across the sand from the type of cart that I have. If you have a newer kayak you want to takegood care of, the Hobie style wheels are made for the sand and seem to work well.

Good instructions, Alex. My 15ft OK Prowler does not turn very well in the surf and had a few dumps there last year. There has been nothing worse than dumping and getting sand over everything including inside your reels. I am going toTRY to resist the urge of going out when the surf is too big or is going to become too big this year. It is just not worth it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
tunapopper (2/24/2010)
specslayer (2/24/2010)you cant really "target" ling from a yak......................................................if you wanted to go specifically for cobia the only thing i could think would be to anchor up and shum really hard.
Why can't you?

I've done it many times off our beaches over here in Gulf Shores. Your bottom line says it all; chum, chum and more chum. Yes you will catch kings and other stuff as well if you have a drift line out but if just want cobes just keep chumming with a bag of chum supplemented with some larger chunks of cigar minnows or menhaden. If they are running the beaches they will be there before too long. I've done this the past 2 seasons with very good reults.
Hey Chris,

I have not tried a chum bag for fear of sharks. If you have a chum bag hanging off of your kayak, is there a technique to prevent a shark from eating your bag and flipping you over? There are some big Makos around during the cobiamigration and a world-record sized onecaught at Navarre Beach. I know you are braver than me though. :doh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts