Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fishing in the sound a lot over the past two years. and ive been out trolling past Navarre pier twice last year. Im really hoping to get into off shore fishing this year for cobia season. what type of gear can you guys suggest to me? i have the rods ready to go. but thats pretty much it. i wanted a Hobie PA, but i have a Revo for now. i just need some suggestions on how to get started. wasnt sure if this was the right forum to put this under. any help would be greatly appreciated. TY In advance!!!:)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You're in the right place my friend. Hopefully JD and some other more seasoned guys will chime in here shortly. Just really getting into the game myself. Welcome to the offshore addiction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea when i caught a spanish, and bonita it was a blast in the kayak. caught a small shark as well. i know the big thing is cobia, i just wanna know how to target them and where are the places/setups to use. really wanna start being a regular out in the gulf.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not a seasoned kayak fisherman either (2nd year), but your def one up having the mirage drive. I had a Tarpon 160 (good yak) last year and would get so aggravated when my buddy in a Outback would just scoot on by when I'm messing with a anchor trying to stay in one spot or what have you. So I said forget this and bought a PA. I could catch the crap out of some lady fish last year though..hahaha. But having my hands free to fish this year has been amazing (catching real fish now). As far as Cobia gear, well this will be my first year on them too. Hopefully we will get that luck of the "newbie". :thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha lucky us. I have the rod for it, I just wanna know how to catch larger fish. I would catch the Spanish while trolling with a duster rig believe.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Be honest, most of the guys that caught cobes last year (to my knowledge) happen to hook up on king rigs. Cobes would just hit them while they were trolling. Always nice to have a pitch bait ready (jig, live bait, etc).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
King rig! That's what's it was. I was wondering why it didn't sound right. But what bait? I had a frozen cigar minnow that I got from the pier the day before.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just depends, different poison for each angler. I troll cigars and blue runners when I can get the smaller ones (less drag). Or a small strip bait made out of Bonita. I actually caught a king on a paddle tail fluke 2 years ago. Had it on a J hook with a duster in front trolling for mahi and got SLAMMED.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Yep. Make some king rigs out of single strand, some with dusters some without. I like to minimize terminal tackle and use the lightest rig I can get a way with. You will lose a lot to sharks. Freelininig with fluorocarbon works well too for other species, you just have a higher probability of getting cut off by toothy critters. Work the bait balls and always look for signs of life. There are a lot of regulars around here that troll offshore

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
blue runners?

The smaller ones are GREAT king, Cobia, grouper, pretty much any predator in the ocean will eat this piece of candy. When they get thick you can catch them on spoons and jigs. Sometimes you can get lucky with a sabiki, but they do have some teeth and will make quick work of a sabiki not suited for them lol. I like the smaller ones because they create less drag when paddling.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Im new to yak fishing too... but have been fishing my whole life...I plan on doing alot cobia fishing in navarre this year.. I will probably just troll with king rigs and then have a rod set up with a cobia jig or a live eel to throw.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Anchor up on the second sandbar and chum like hell. Make the Cobia come to you. Otherwise, I'd just troll with a pitch bait ready to toss at any sea turtle or shadow that comes along.
Thanks for the advice. I haven't been offshore before and was wondering how you can sight fish so low to the water. Other than what you said, it sounds like targeting cobia from a yak is about the same as targeting kings.

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I haven't been offshore before and was wondering how you can sight fish so low to the water. Other than what you said, it sounds like targeting cobia from a yak is about the same as targeting kings.
Yea, unless you plan on putting a tower on your yak, it can be hit and miss. I was usually more miss than hit!
Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts