Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at new boats 24' cntr console/ bigger, with hp of about 200. My problem is i am undesided on what brand of outboardI want to go with..I have always been a Merc guy just because of drag race reasons. I am favoring the 200 E-TEC, however everything has its glitches. I was wanting alil feed back on the MERC, Verado. VS. E-TEC VS. Yamaha. VS. The NEW 2 Stroke OPTIMAX.

I want a hi output motor W/ performace that is reliable... I know thats alot to ask..

If anyone has purchaced a new outboard, please tell me what you think about it. pros, cons....and servicing...

Thanks.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
You know what they say, buy a Merc if you want to get there first and a Yamaha if you want to make it back home. I know my buddyhas beensponsered by every motor company on the market over the years and he said he had more trouble with E-Tec than all others but other than that I don't have a clue. He by the way is a guide on the Mosquito Lagoon.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
My opinion is that all manufacturers are going to have problems with motors. When I was motor shopping last year I considered these things:

1. Cost of Engine

2. Length of warranty offered by manufacturer

3. Reputation of local dealer of motor for any warranty work

I will say that now that I own a 4 stroke, I will never go back to a 2 stroke, just personal opinion, but that would be something for my own personal search for my next engine....

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
i have a '07 everglades 24CC with a 350 hp yamaha on it and it is for sale. it has about 50 hrs on it and it is loaded and ready to fish. the 350 yamaha is probably the best outboard i have owned. have a magictilt trailer to go with it. reason for selling, i don't have time to use it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS FOR THE INPUTS IT GREAT! THOSE w/ THE YAMAHA, WHAT KIND OF SERVICING IS THERE AND HOW MUCH, HOW OFTEN,I KNOW AT FIRST! BUT IS MOST OF IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD YOUR MOTORS???

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You will find that the majority of people in this area have Yamaha engines. That being said, we have an '03 Yamaha F150 and it is one of the best motors made. We have 800hrs on it and have done nothing other than simple maint. Knock on wood the motor itself has never left us stranded. However, bad batteries will leave you stranded EVERYTIME!

·
Super Moderator
19,476 Posts
CAPTMorgan (3/3/2010)DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON E-TEC'S (FAR AS GOOD/ BADINFO....???)
I know of 5 that were blown up with under 50 hours on them, but again I know a few Mercurys and one Yamaha that did the samething.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I have been a OMC now Etec fan for all my life. I just repowered from a 175 Johnson carbed to a 150 Etec. So far 40 hours my milage has doubled and the speed of the boat has increased. Yes increased after dropping 25 HP. I will say it's too soon to put my 100 % stamp of approval on to the E-tecs but mine has a five year warranty. If it were me I would never go with a four stroke because they are heaver and can't possibly have the torque of a two stroke and they are more costly to maintain. (Just My Personal opinion). So all you 4 s t r o ke r s bring on the bashing. The reason for the spaces is how the 4 stroke fires compared to two stroke.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm no expert!!! but I think good motor or bad motor has more to do with luck than brand. There are lemons in all brands of motor, car, computer, etc. If we had some real numbers on how many motors per thousand had troubles it surewould make the choice easier.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
CAPTMorgan (3/3/2010)THANKS FOR THE INPUTS IT GREAT! THOSE w/ THE YAMAHA, WHAT KIND OF SERVICING IS THERE AND HOW MUCH, HOW OFTEN,I KNOW AT FIRST! BUT IS MOST OF IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD YOUR MOTORS???
I have a 2004 F-150 Yamaha 4 stroke and it has 980 hrs on it and services every 100 hrs. It costs about 350 give or take to have someone service it for you and about 150 to do it yourself. I have had no problems therefore no need for warranty.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think you got some good advice above - Get a new engine - from a dealer nearby with a goodreputation for honesty and service.

Modern generation 4S and direct injected 2S are all good. You will find each brand has its own loyal following - and trashers. Comparing makes & models, there are some performance differences, and otherpersonal preference 'delighters' -But the big factor that will keepyou happy is the dealer - Sooner or later you will beback in his shop- and that experience will bethe big discriminator between brands.

A fewthoughts

- on a 24 ft center console 200 hp is a bit light - a 225 or 250 single would be a better match- maybe even 300 or 350 hp

- For a single engine installation, a 4 stroker may be your best bet, if you factor in resale.

- For a twin engine installation, do not under estimate the weight advantage of a pair of 2 strokes vs two - 4 strokeson a 24-25 ft center console

I personally have twin 150 etechs on a 25 ft center console and could not be happier - coming up on 300 hoursafter 10 months - had one issue that was fixed within the first week- and since I have only added gas & oil. Getting ready to take them in for a check-up & service before ramping up for the spring and summer.

Let us know what you settle on

Keith

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I was shopping for my outboard I considered mainly price but also weight.

The opti-max and e-tec were comparable in both fields. The four stroke family was 2-3 K more in price so that alone cancelled them from my list. It will take me a long long time to make that money up in savings in gas.

Anyway I went with the E-tec. I've got a 200 H.O. I got it in 2006, and have never had single issue with it.

The ignition system is phenomenal. Gas mileage is decent.

The boat has been in storage now for over 2 months, I brought it home this weekend, put the hose on it, and I swear that engine didn't turn more than 1 revolution and it was running. I have been very impressed by it.

Consider all makes withing your budget, and just decide what will be the best bet for your boat.

Everyone has an opinion, and you will probably hear them all, so good luck with your purchase.

:usaflag

1 - 20 of 24 Posts