Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As a couple of you already know I am pretty good at electronics. I am in the USCG and have been for more than 6 years.:usaflag Almost all of that time has been spent working on various electronics. I can troubleshoot systems and Install them. I have an FCC license with shipboard RADAR systems. I also am a Certified Electronics Tech. I have all the test equipment necessary to troubleshoot many (but not all) systems. If you need help diagnosing a problem then I am your man. The cost will be by job depending on size of boat and complexity of job. There is one catch however that I MUST tell you. I am not by any means licensed or insured and I will assume no responsibilities for any malfunctions or other problems that may arise from my work. I don't want to scare you away with that comment but I am just a back yard tech.

On my last trip out on the water I noticed my chart plotter has started to go on the fritz and I have a couple of models I am drooling over and Christmas is around the corner so I am interested in giving a hand to those who need it. Because I am not licensed all prices and jobs will be negotiable (not free) but affordable for those (like myself) who can not afford professional installers.

If you need a hand with something even if it isn't really electronics shoot me a PM or call me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I almost forgot. I can also peak and tweak most of your vhfradios to ensure maximum output power, frequency adjustments,and receive quality. Alot of radios bought from places like west marine only put out 16watts of power. The FCC has a maximum regulation of 25watts so you could be missing out on some range.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need more details.

1. are you installing a new auto pilot

2. size of boat

3. make and model of auto pilot and RADAR

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just a little question for you, what would make my vhf radio not send call outs but can listen to the marine radio? I'm by far not an electronics guy, but my guess would be maybe that the microphone isn't transmitting. Any comments? Also if you think that may be the problem, where could i get another mic? Oh yeah, the boat is a 21' sea pro, cobra vhf.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have to take a look at the radio. What us techies call it is a key line problem. There is a circuit devoted to making your transmitter turn on and prepair for a tranmission. It could be anything between your PTT button all the way to your power amp. Since this includes circuitry on each board in your radio it is difficult to tell exactly what is wrong with it. Most likely it would be the microphone since it takes the most abuse but one can't be sure. I can troubleshoot it if you would like and maybe fix it (depending on what it is) The fix however can be cost prohibitive. If it is in your main board then the replacement board could be more expensive than the radio brand new... Let me know if you would like me to give you a hand with this and we can go from there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
jsaddiction (10/30/2007)Hello all,

As a couple of you already know I am pretty good at electronics. I am in the USCG and have been for more than 6 years.:usaflag Almost all of that time has been spent working on various electronics. I can troubleshoot systems and Install them. I have an FCC license with shipboard RADAR systems. I also am a Certified Electronics Tech. I have all the test equipment necessary to troubleshoot many (but not all) systems. If you need help diagnosing a problem then I am your man. The cost will be by job depending on size of boat and complexity of job. There is one catch however that I MUST tell you. I am not by any means licensed or insured and I will assume no responsibilities for any malfunctions or other problems that may arise from my work. I don't want to scare you away with that comment but I am just a back yard tech.

On my last trip out on the water I noticed my chart plotter has started to go on the fritz and I have a couple of models I am drooling over and Christmas is around the corner so I am interested in giving a hand to those who need it. Because I am not licensed all prices and jobs will be negotiable (not free) but affordable for those (like myself) who can not afford professional installers.

If you need a hand with something even if it isn't really electronics shoot me a PM or call me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I want to comment on the Fine competent work this man does. He worked on a Gyro stabilizer on my boat that the prior Idiot Owner decided to rewire. The work was quick, professional, and he obviously knows his electronics.

He tuned up two VHF radios for me.. NO he didn't just clean the antenna contacts, He disassembled the case, took the heat shield off, took out a large complex computer analysis device, used SWR meter, power out, and frequency checked Channel 16.Bumped the power to FCC max of 25 and put it all back in about 35 mins. TRY TO FIND SOMEONE IN PENSACOLA TO DO THAT!

I strongly recommend his work. Once people find out about his talents, you will have to get in line for an appointment.

Prices were quite reasonable for the work done.

Regards,

Capt. Rich

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much CAPT Rich for the attaboy. When ever you need any work done remember me.

I have talked to several people recently and already have things mounting up for after christmas time frame. I can also do installations and make recommendations. I am your go to guy for electronics. If you need anything done PM me or call me.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I wanted to let folks know that this young man came out to look at some issues we were having with our radar. He skillfully sorted through the system. Researched the problem, communicated with the manufacturer and distributers, secured the part and made the repair in two quick visits. Excellent info, sincere, professional demeanor, expert problem solving and repair. Also very important to this old tightwad is that his prices were extremely reasonable. I will be calling Justin in the future for electronic installs and any repair issues that may come up. :usaflag

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the post Mike. I hope everything works out well for you. Now you got your electronics sorted out. GO FISHING

Justin

·
Registered
45 Posts
How much for the tune up on the VHF? Got a new VHF with the DSC but I need it hooked up to the GPS to function properly. I really dont like the idea of me splicing wires in the GPS because of my ELECTRONIC CURSE. Also have a Garmin 240 Blue fishfinder that started acting up on me at the end of last year. Screen was gray scale lines and then it would cut off turn it back on it would work for a while with the gray lines then it would cut off again. Brought home took it apart and left in the house for 3 months and the screen looks fine now, think it will work when i put it back on the boat? Or should I buy another one and bring with me , just asking for your advice. Seriosly I would like to have you tie in the VHF with the GPS and do whatever it is you do to boost the power. Also maybe a checkup on the Raymarine radar and garmin GPS, possibly put in a new cd player if I dont run out of money!! Not sure where you are located but the boat is in Orange Beach, its a 24 CC Bay style so having all electronics, Radar, GPS,VHF working is the only way we feel safe fishing out over the artificial reefs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts