Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from my best friend the other day, for some reason he was out at garage sales and asked me if Penn reels were any good, i said hell yeah...why? He told me he was looking at a Penn 550SS with 5.1 ratio for $10 and doesnt appear to have ever been used and asked if i wanted it. Surely i dont have to let you guys know what my answer was. lol

Anyways what would be some good rod recommendtions for this reel? Notice is said good, not the bare bottom cheapest but not really expensive either, basically a good quality low to mid price range rod. I plan to use iton the boat for bottom bumping, and will probably spool it with 30-50lb power pro. The mono rating is for about 275 yards of 15lb test.

·
Registered
948 Posts
it would be tough to go wrong by matching it up w/ a penn slammer rod. it's a nice combo - my FIL has a 550SS on a slammer and it's very well matched.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would check with Steve at Lost Key Bait & Tackle on Blue Angel Pkwy. He has a clearance sale going on a wide variety of rods and reels. Good Luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts