Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
50/50 flour cornmeal mix. Add garlic powder, black pepper, little salt.

Or

Cover fish in Louisiana hot sauce, bread with 50/50 flour cornmeal mix.

·
eating tasty
3,783 Posts
I’m a fan of zatarains crispy southern. I cut the fish into bite sized chunks, put in a gallon ziplock with zesty Italian salad dressing. Coat and shake fish. Then put the box of zatarains in a separate gallon bag. Add a few shakes of Tony’s or slap ya mama to this bag. Pick out the wet pieces, throw in the bag of dry fry mix, and shake to coat. Fry away. Peanut oil is best.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I’m a fan of zatarains crispy southern. I cut the fish into bite sized chunks, put in a gallon ziplock with zesty Italian salad dressing. Coat and shake fish. Then put the box of zatarains in a separate gallon bag. Add a few shakes of Tony’s or slap ya mama to this bag. Pick out the wet pieces, throw in the bag of dry fry mix, and shake to coat. Fry away. Peanut oil is best.
I do this as well ! If you don't like doing it with dressing, you can use milk to get them wet so the zatarains will stick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
A few years ago, I switched from vegetable oil or peanut oil to Coconut oil. This was an effort to eat "healthy," but, turns out coconut oil is just as questionable as other oils.

Nonetheless, I started using this recipe.

I usually fry trout or redfish, but I've used this on snappers, grouper, flounder, and probably a few other species as well.

Soak fillets in egg wash - milk and eggs with some salt and pepper.

Dredge fillets in corn masa - this is corn FLOUR, not corn meal.

In a shallow skillet with about 1" or so of the coconut oil, fry the fillets 3 - 4 minutes or so on each side for thinner fillets and 5 -7 minutes for thicker fillets.

·
Super Moderator
28,502 Posts
Most times I use zatarans and then kick it up by adding some cajun seasonings!!!

Reactions: smooth move

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I let my fillets soak in a wash (eggs, milk, hot sauce, spices, Worcestershire sauce, & lemon juice) for about 30 plus minutes and then into Louisiana fish fry or Zatarans since my wife picks up to opposite brand that I ask for

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
Coat the fish and yellow mustard. Then apply whatever you like to such as flour and corn meal, corn flour or any other pre-mixed seasoning. The mustard really makes a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
I started using Franks Red Hot instead of egg & milk wash before breading and everyone loves it. No heat, just great flavor.
I’ll have to try that. Yeah The hot sauce just adds flavor. Doesn’t make it hot.
Good stuff!!

Reactions: HighCotton

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
zatarains or plain cornmeal with seasonings. however, last week i was left on my own for a few days and one day i was frying fish and green tomatoes. i had a egg wash for the tomatoes, so after they were done, i used the egg wash on some of the pcs of fish. wouldn't want it every time, but it was pretty dang good and a welcome change form my norm.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I really enjoy the Zataran's wonderful mix. I pat my fillets dry (damp actually) , lightly season and dust thoroughly with wonderful mix. Scamp and snapper are amazing after a couple of minutes in the deep fryer.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
All this talk about frying is very unhealthy. I avoid frying at all costs. I just throw mine in a pot of water and boil it until everything is one big fishy lump. I then scoop it out with a spoon and put it on a plate. I then add a cracker and half a carrot for flavor. It must really be filling, because most people that eat it take one bite and tell me that they're full.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
All this talk about frying is very unhealthy. I avoid frying at all costs. I just throw mine in a pot of water and boil it until everything is one big fishy lump. I then scoop it out with a spoon and put it on a plate. I then add a cracker and half a carrot for flavor. It must really be filling, because most people that eat it take one bite and tell me that they're full.
Just kidding. When I fry, I mix bisquick pancake mix with Tony Cacheres Creole Seasoning and salt. I soak in milk, dip in eggs, thrown in a bag with the pancake mix and put it in the fryer.

I also grill fish, but nobody asked about that.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Same but use Yellow Mustard. All the mustard cooks off, leaves the seasoning. Zaterains is hard to beat.
Crap just saw BananaToms post. It's the truth!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts