Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BeforeI run down to Outcast and buy that new Saragosa 14000 sitting in the display cabinet...

I am looking at getting into a new rod and reel primarily for jigging. I will be fishing in about 250ft max for the next five years or so. I will be targetting AJ, snapper and grouper, and dolphin and kings at the summer cruises on. I love to fish, but realistically only get out about 20-25 times a year.

I have about a 300
ish budget for both rod and reel, and perfer spinning to conventional. If it lasts 4 years, i think I am doing pretty good.

For you jigging afficianos with , can you suggest a pair up you think might be sucessful?

Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
If your looking for a good jiggin rod you may want to look into a shimano trevala. I have been using one for about 18 months now with no problems. still looks and performs like a brand new one. Im using a conventional with a torium 30, thats got more than enough muscle to bring up just about anything in your depth range. If your set on spinnig then maybe a Sarragosa or stratic spinnig reel. that might put you a lil over the 300 limit but its worth the money.. The higher end shimano stuff comes with a lifetime warrenty. If you take care of it it will last a lifetime. Dont know if you ever get out to Orange Beach, but J&Ms and the other tackle shop down the street from them ( really cant recall the name, but on the same street) Always has good combo prices. Got mine there for around 260$

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have about a 300
ish budget for both rod and reel, and perfer spinning to conventional.
If you want it to last 4 years at this price, then conventional is a better bet. Saltist 40, paired with a SA-JG 59XHFB Daiwa jigging rod is a combo that can not be denied. Add some carbontex washers, aftermarket handle and some boat braid and you will be happy, if you can get past the fact that its not a spinner.

Daiwa Jigging Rod $159
Daiwa Saltist 40 $189
Boat Braid $50
Carbontex $20
Tbar Handle $37

This may not be the right combo for you, but makes one hell of an entry level deal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stick with the Saragosa, the stradic is too light if you are going to be playing with decent donkeys... The 14000 or 18000 would both be good reels. The bigger size also allows you to use a "wind on stlye" leader which I would recomend when jigging. I would defintely recomend the Trevala rod in the 58xxh. This rod has the but on it that enables you to use a belt with a pin which can be a back saver. Plus is can handle the heavier weights whenyou are dropping meat to the bottom. You should also get more than a couple years out of this setup. I have 4yr old Trev rods and have not had a problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses on the rods, reels.Unfortunately, BP has tragically affected everyone's life in the gulf coast in some way. I think I'ma just going to wait this one out....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts