Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any experiance with these ductless a/c units by mitsubishi? i live in a house that is only 860 sq.ft. and it seems like a good unit. need a little input please and suggestions on who to get to install if i go with this type. thanks

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
if this is the one your looking at: http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Category.asp?ProductCategoryID=24

It should be just as good as a conventional window unit.

Reading the description, it sounds like it is basically a window unit that has been separated into two units. Indoor parts and outdoor parts connected via the refrigerant lines.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
They work. They are really nothing more than a glorified window unit, but about 4 times the price. With a house as small as what you have, individual window air conditioners would be the most economical in both terms of initial cost and operation. More people are now opting for individual room units for control of occupied and non-occupied zones.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
Ive installed a few mini splits. They are great if you have 1 or 2 rooms to condition. A little pricey but you dont have a goofy looking window unit hanging off the side of your house. If you need a price on one shoot me a pm and Ill hook you up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have some Friends that bought two They loved them (TILL THEY GOT THEIR POWER BILL) They removed them as soon as they could. theirs was not a Mitsubishi how ever.(offbrand)

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
capt.eugene (10/1/2009)I have some that bought two They loved them (TILL THEY GOT THEIR POWER BILL) They removed them as soon as they could. theirs was not a Mitsubishi how ever.
Yeah if you run 2 of them or one on top of your regular unit your power bill will show it. You can up to 4 rooms off of a mini split. But if you have to do that you might as well get a conventional unit.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've got a similar unit in one of my equipment rooms... seems to work well. But it's not in my main server room so I don't know how it would stand up to serious duty.

They're pretty popular in Europe and I've used several over there. Some worked great, others not so great.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i have installed a few they are not worth the money they cost to much to run why are you asking about one is your uint not cooling the amout of space you need to i once put one a sunroom for a man in ob he said it cost more to cool down his sunroom than his whole 4000sq foot house :usaflag

·
Registered
127 Posts
I work on and have installed many of these, I my opinion, Mitsu. is the leader of the pack. Very efficient, those who talk about power bill have never actually tested these as to what the put out/compared to the power they draw. an amp meter will do the math for you very quicly, put it this way if you have a plug in electric heater for a sun room etc., the mini split will give you 4 times the heat for the same amount of power draw their effiientcy is around 17 seer. they will provide cooling for computer rooms etc even down to freezing outside and deliver good heat pump performance below 0, very reliable, with numerous controls that protect the unit from damaging itself. This thing is in no way a glorified window unit. get up with a real ac guy who can show you the real numbers.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all of your replies so far they are really appreciated and helpful. only problem is i'm getting some largly mixed answers. i need to find out what it would cost to get it installed and whether or not i need extra inside splits or not. my VERY LARGE NOISY window unit is still cooling fine but is out of warranty and 5 years old. i'm just looking at different options. i've got a little money put aside for this and i want to get rid of the wall mount non-vented gas heater in my dinning room. so if anyone is interested in doing this pm me to set up an appointment or give me some names to call that will do me right. thanks again cliff

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
markm0369 (10/1/2009)I work on and have installed many of these, I my opinion, Mitsu. is the leader of the pack. Very efficient, those who talk about power bill have never actually tested these as to what the put out/compared to the power they draw. an amp meter will do the math for you very quicly, put it this way if you have a plug in electric heater for a sun room etc., the mini split will give you 4 times the heat for the same amount of power draw their effiientcy is around 17 seer. they will provide cooling for computer rooms etc even down to freezing outside and deliver good heat pump performance below 0, very reliable, with numerous controls that protect the unit from damaging itself. This thing is in no way a glorified window unit. get up with a real ac guy who can show you the real numbers.
First off, I think having retired after spending over30 years in the A/C industry with companies such as Westinghouse, Bryant, and Carrier, in positions as products manager and with a stint as technical trainer, might qualify me as a "real ac guy", and I know Splittine is currently in the business as are others who have posted.

I was around when Mitsu cameon the marketwith the mini-split. I was there when Carrier developed the concept in the late 60', and later marketed themfor small computer room applications in the early 80's. They took a window air conditioner and separated the evaporator section from the condensing section and connected it with copper tubing and control wires. Later they experimented with the heat pump along the same lines. But, they determined that the unit would be too expensive to a very limited residential market. Japan, on the other hand with its much smaller residential living quarters jumped on it, and as they say, the rest is history. It's a window unit.

And, the additional electronic controls on the Mitsu is a comglomeration of potential service problems.

Dollar comparisons: You can buy 2 super-high effecient window heat pumps, with low noise ratings for under $1,000. 1 mini-split (same effeciency rating), installed and wired, will cost you in excess of $2,000. You can call the local Gulf Power energy rep for specific dollar operating costs of each.

Good luck.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have one and love it. It is much more quiet than a wall ac unit. Mine is about 3 years old now and has never given me a problem. I am using it in a small space (home office of approx 250 sf.) My power bill is a lot lower now that I do not have to cool off 3,000+ sf just to get 250 sf at the temp I like. They are not cheap.

FO

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well you haven't had a wide variety of responses, a few differs of opinion, but to be expected on a public forum, and yes there is a cost factors involved, no one has slammed the mitsubishi, just argue the initial cost. That you may have to figure yourself, as well as the level of comfort, amount of noise, power bill(if any one believes there is a window unit made that can compete with the inverter technology as far as energy efficentcy please prove it to me, I'll pay 100 bucks for the education),etc and what you are willing to trade off. Can the mitsubishi deliver better performance all around yes, will it cost more to put in, yes, but that may be arguable as some qualify for the Obama tax credits, would only require 1 20A-30A breaker as opposed to any electrical changes needed to do multiple window units. Would it (Mitsubishi) look better, add value to your house,free up the windows to be windows, or since its not a window unit, allows it to be placed for effective cooling of the rooms etc.your call, For the window units, I guess you could at least take them with you if you moved.Give McNorton Mech, a call He should at least be competitive and will give you a free estimate, 478 5164

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am about to have to make the same decisions. I am adding a room to my house (324 sq ft) with vaulted ceilings. The room is going to be like a florida room but is being stick built, matching roof line, etc. versus an aluminum type pre fab. Going to have quite a few windows as with most "FL Rooms". Window unit is not going to be an option because of the wife and it just would not look good in this room as it will be finished out kinda high end plus windows are casement. The wife wants to add whole new ac to house large enough to accomadate this addition, however, that will cost way more than the mini split. So I understand your difficulty in choosing one. I don't know how to make the decision. I have heard more positive than negative on the mini splits. If my new room was going to only be used periodically then I know I would go mini, however, it is actually going to be the play room for my 3 year old and used alot so we can have our living room back. Any way let us know your decision and how it works out

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
For that I would say go with a HIGH Seer Rating New A/C, instead of the mini split.. But of course like you said its going to be very HIGH in the dollar amount.. Higher seer rating is good.. The 13 seer is std. now adays..

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
But if you go with a high SEER rating you will never recover the cost of the unit with the savings of energy. A high SEER rated unit is outragous compared to a 13 SEER unit which is the Fl min. you can install.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks everyone this is helping me cause i'm now learning a lot that i didn't know about a/c units, but still not decided yet. going to get a couple of est. first.

·
Registered
231 Posts
McNorton Mechinstalled a Mit. mini split in the florida room of our new house two years ago. It works great very quiet. This room faces west and 12 ft ceilings and has a lot of windows. the unit has not problems heating or cooling this room. There is no comparison between the mini splits and a window unit, you will not hardly hear the unit running. Give them a call and check it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl17_lblFullMessage>But if you go with a high SEER rating you will never recover the cost of the unit with the savings of energy. A high SEER rated unit is outragous compared to a 13 SEER unit which is the Fl min. you can install.

Splittine is right. High seer equipment is a salesman's dream - it gives them a chance to use fancy words and hand out brochures.High end equipment can have a few more options than standard equipment and may make a little less noise but to telling a customer they will get a pay back on energy savings will probably not happen unless their current system is old and running poorly.

Take your internet price on the mini-split and add $ 900.00 - $1,200.00 to have it professionally installed if you can find someone to install your owner provided equipment.If a contractor has to provide and warranty the equipment your going to be well over $2,000.00 for the mini -split.Your probably looking at a 24,000 btu unit but that would depend on the construction of the house.Does the house already have A/C or is this a new add? There will be electrical adds too. Probably $ 450.00 for a new circuit.<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl17_lblPostSignature><P align=left>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts