Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to my first trip on the gulf out from Destin's East Pass. I need a little help with what channels are used and for what on my VHF. When calling another VHF what is the proper way or proper etiquette to sign in or call verbally? Which channels do people out of Destin use? What should I monitor in addition to 16? If coming up on another boat is there a common frequency they might be on? I've also learned that sometimes there is a bait boat out from East Pass on VHF. How can I locate there frequency? There's alot to know before going out on the water - whew.

Shipsmate

·
Registered
76 Posts
just FYI scan may be a good option. You may hear others that don;'t know what channel to go to and..... you may hear a couple boats talking about what is hitting!!!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
One of the bait boat capt. just posted what he will have (think it was cig mins) and he said hit him on 11...

Brent

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yep, that was the one... I failed to realize the different locations...
But heck... he can always holler on 11:blush:
Brent

·
Registered
47 Posts
Start with the vessel you are calling then your vessel. If you want to call the baitboat:

"Baitboat, Baitboat, Baitboat, this is Shipsmate on Channel One One (11)"

When you are done, if you plan on staying on channel 11:

"Shipsmate standing by, on one one"

If you are done and switching to another channel:

"Shipsmate standing by, switching to six eight (68)"

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Most of us over in here in Destin area monitor ch 68 and 16. The bait boat in Destin is on ch 80. If you are going to get into a long discussion on 68 ask the other person to switch over to another channel of your choice other than ch 16. When calling the bait boat tell them you want a 20.00 or 30.00 shot or more if you like and that will get you about 4-5 dozen or more minnows. Tell him what boat you are in by a short description and he will tell what side to approach on. Don't approach the bait boats until they give you instructions because there is usually someone in front of you waiting also. Once you have instructions to approach do so very slowly and upon leaving . We turn our VHF on when leaving the marina so we can listen to see if they have any bait and if so what side of the jetty they are on. Hope this helps you some. Good Luck.l

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
The LaJess II (25/05/2010)Most of us over in here in Destin area monitor ch 68 and 16. The bait boat in Destin is on ch 80. If you are going to get into a long discussion on 68 ask the other person to switch over to another channel of your choice other than ch 16. When calling the bait boat tell them you want a 20.00 or 30.00 shot or more if you like and that will get you about 4-5 dozen or more minnows. Tell him what boat you are in by a short description and he will tell what side to approach on. Don't approach the bait boats until they give you instructions because there is usually someone in front of you waiting also. Once you have instructions to approach do so very slowly and upon leaving . We turn our VHF on when leaving the marina so we can listen to see if they have any bait and if so what side of the jetty they are on. Hope this helps you some. Good Luck.l
Thanks, I fish out of Destin and this is some good local information to have. I just installed my first VHF radio last year and still learning the ways. I alread busted one antenna too :doh and now I'm looking for the best replacement for the money if anyone has a recommendation? I have a 20' CC single engine boat so I don't plan to venture out past 20 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
69Viking (25/05/2010)
The LaJess II (25/05/2010)Most of us over in here in Destin area monitor ch 68 and 16. The bait boat in Destin is on ch 80. If you are going to get into a long discussion on 68 ask the other person to switch over to another channel of your choice other than ch 16. When calling the bait boat tell them you want a 20.00 or 30.00 shot or more if you like and that will get you about 4-5 dozen or more minnows. Tell him what boat you are in by a short description and he will tell what side to approach on. Don't approach the bait boats until they give you instructions because there is usually someone in front of you waiting also. Once you have instructions to approach do so very slowly and upon leaving . We turn our VHF on when leaving the marina so we can listen to see if they have any bait and if so what side of the jetty they are on. Hope this helps you some. Good Luck.l
Thanks, I fish out of Destin and this is some good local information to have. I just installed my first VHF radio last year and still learning the ways. I alread busted one antenna too :doh and now I'm looking for the best replacement for the money if anyone has a recommendation? I have a 20' CC single engine boat so I don't plan to venture out past 20 miles or so.
Your welcome.Go online to Cabela'sfor your antenna. Get a Shakespeare

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that's why my best friends are my boating buddies :toast. Thanks to all for the information that I needed. Now I can communicate without hesitation. Next is hooks, line, bait and food. Ordered my flare kit and Lifesling2 yesterday so I have a full compliment of safety gear. Now if the oil will stay away.....:Wow:

·
Registered
696 Posts
69 Viking: I recommend the Digital brand. Powerboat Reports (similar to Consumer Reports but now defunct) did and evaluation of all the major brands and the Digital antenna came out on top. I have a 6 footer on my T-top and it works great.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
I hope this book is not written by the same pimps that choke the VHF 16 channel in some other areas. It's a lot like a cackophony of frogs all croaking for attn. And it's bullshit. We should not have to hear this pitiful attempt at marketing on the emergency/hailing channel. There seem to be some lines being drawn as to whether the law is actually the law... Just ask any northbound alien from Brownsville TX to Southern California. BTW.. If you speak Vietnamese, you are free to do so on any VHF channel. FCC says its Kewl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts