Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought at first it was an Atlantic Sharpnose, but I'm not so sure. Didn't get a good look at it's teeth either. No spots or markings on the body that I noticed. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might go with the Atlantic Sharpnose, but it just looked too fat for one. And I think a Sand Shark is a different species all together, very recognizable teeth usually.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Blacknose Shark, Carcharhinus acronotus. They are generally just sandy brown with almost zero markings other than a dusky-colored smudge under the snout. You can actually see it a little in the pic.

There actually isn't a species of shark with the common name "sand shark". On the East coast, Sand Tigers are often called that, but there is no mistaking a Sand Tiger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't notice the markings, but I was just pretty stoked to catch my first shark. Caught from Mexico Beach, on a 3x4" chunk of fresh mullet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty certain it's a Spinner. Did a little more research on it and that's my best guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adult Spinners have black tips. This one was barely 3'. It didn't have a dark enough spot on its snout to call it a Blacknose. Who knows though? I'll take better pics next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts