Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I killed a Pintail drake on Escambia River this morning and want to get him mounted. Does anyone know the proper way to freeze it, so I don't mess up the feathers . Thanks for any help. I need help fast, since he's in my fridge right now and the wife is pretty pissed about it!!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Jigslinger nailed it for the ones I have had mounted. Also, you may want to give Michael Cole in Milton (Cole's Taxidermy) a shout. He is a member of this forum. I think mcole ishis screen name but Iam notsure.I took him a wood duck last year and could not have been happier with the mount he did for me.

BTW, very nice kill, he will make a GREAT mount!!!! :bowdown

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys, do you know how much it usually costs for a duck mount? My cousin told me to stick it in a women's stocking to keep the feathers pushed down and straight on it. Sounds reasonable to me, so will see how it works and take some pics.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,546 Posts
dorado74 (1/4/2009)Thanks for the help guys, do you know how much it usually costs for a duck mount? My cousin told me to stick it in a women's stocking to keep the feathers pushed down and straight on it. Sounds reasonable to me, so will see how it works and take some pics.
That's what I've always donewith my pheasants. If the wife is already mad you probably don't even need to ask....just grab a pair of hers!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grassflatsfisher (1/4/2009)
dorado74 (1/4/2009)Thanks for the help guys, do you know how much it usually costs for a duck mount? My cousin told me to stick it in a women's stocking to keep the feathers pushed down and straight on it. Sounds reasonable to me, so will see how it works and take some pics.
That's what I've always donewith my pheasants. If the wife is already mad you probably don't even need to ask....just grab a pair of hers!

Haha.. I already did !!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I know you needed this yesterday. Just put him in a plastic bag. No news paper the ink can come of on it. and no panty hose they can mess up the fethers when trying to get the bird out. You will be looking at $200 to $250 for a good quality mount. The top three taxidermst in the area charge some where around this price. If you would like to see some bird mounds done by a couple of the guys pm me and i can show yousome I have about 15 to 20 birds done.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Unprinted newspaper or packing paper is the best thing to wrap them in. Plastic bags can cause problems.

Nathan

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I know his sprig isn't there...not sure if I shot it off or he is a juvenile. I am having him mounted because it is my first Pintail and killed on Escambia River WMA. Last time I checked these birds aren't common in this area, but I could be mistaken. Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this. I ended up putting him in a pantyhose and then wrapping him in freezer paper. If anyone else hunts the river, get up with me and we can shoot some birds one day soon. I just finished a 4 day marathon and had some really good woody shoots. Thanks again for all the help!! :bowdown

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah man congrats on the pinner ive hunted florida for years now and just moved to this area and have only killed coutless woodies and ringers TEACH ME

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I dont think its a juvie drake but somewhere along the way it lost its sprig. You may be able to find one on EBAY and have it added, no joke, you can find almost anything there, or a taxidermist may be able to point you in the direction of one, just a thought.

Congrats on the pintail, havent seen many in this area.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Downtime2 (1/5/2009)How is it down south Nathan. Kepping you hoppin'?

Definitely staying busy. Don't know how long I'll be down here with the way things are going. Still plan to get back home eventually. Been duck hunting all weekend. There's some pretty good hunting down here.

Nathan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts