Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just niticed it leeking out the front. I see the gfi triped. Everything is defrosted! Deer burger, sausage,strap,bratts. I am discusted, I have heard refreezing is not a good idea. I am leaving out of town tomorrow evening, my son is going in the hospital for a two week tune up and I can only eat so much in the next 24hrs. I wonder has anyone ever refroze defrosted meat n then been edible? If not I got meat to get rid of that has to be eatin in the next day or 2. It is still ice cold but defrosted!!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
I have done it after a hurricane without a problem as long as the meat didn't get warm. If it is still ice cold then there shouldn't be any problems.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its ice cold, I have got the mess cleaned up now I reset it, took out the leaking bags of burger. Mixed it up for a big bbq of burger tonight my hands froze mixing it up, and the center is still frozen. I am hoping it will be alright. Only time will tell!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Dude it will totally be fine... Like they said, it didnt get warm. And even if it did get warm for a short period of time, it would be fine. Meat doesn't go bad instantaneously

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I would <U>consider</U> relocating where it is plugged in or removing that one outlet from the GFCI protection loop it is on and power it from annother source. ( You can install it's own dedicated GFCI device right where it is plugged in if you still want it protected). If you want to find the possible reason for the trip, you can manually trip the outlet with the test button and see which other outlets loose power throughout the house and try to see if maybe someone did somthing unusual to overload or wet the circuit.

We lostour freezer once and everything in it also because the outside outlet tripped the GFCI breaker when the house was pressure washed and things got wet and did not realize untill we had a freezer full of crab bait on our hands. It also tripped a couple times due to other reasons and we had a couple near misses with the freezer.

Anyway I realize this was not what you asked, but just somthing to think about to hold down possible future problems................Good luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Snagged Line (4/11/2010)I would <U>consider</U> relocating where it is plugged in or removing that one outlet from the GFCI protection loop it is on and power it from annother source. ( You can install it's own dedicated GFCI device right where it is plugged in if you still want it protected). If you want to find the possible reason for the trip, you can manually trip the outlet with the test button and see which other outlets loose power throughout the house and try to see if maybe someone did somthing unusual to overload or wet the circuit.

We lostour freezer once and everything in it also because the outside outlet tripped the GFCI breaker when the house was pressure washed and things got wet and did not realize untill we had a freezer full of crab bait on our hands. It also tripped a couple times due to other reasons and we had a couple near misses with the freezer.

Anyway I realize this was not what you asked, but just somthing to think about to hold down possible future problems................Good luck.
Definintely get the freezer off GFI. I had it happen and caught it before defrosting, reset GFI and a few days later ended up with a freezer full of garbage. The GFI breakers will get weak and trip easier. Expensive lesson learned by me! Ken

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Your best bet is to remove the GFI protection to that receptacle. If you're unsure how to do it, call an electrician. Refrigerators and freezers should never be plugged into a GFI protected receptacle.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
One of the handiest tricks to refreezing meat is to turn the meat over to the opposite side it was frozen initially. This will let the liquids run back down through it and prevent it from becoming grainulated and nasty.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks h2o good tip. As for the GFI, it is actually in my laundry room, wich is barely big enough for a washer n dryer as it is. It is the gfi for the washer:nonono but it is where I had it at the time and i was gonna run an additional line seeing how it is off grade it is farely simple. But I am sure I had to go fishing or something better to do. So for now, I have a big pink sticky pad that says check gfi stuck to the front of it. It can not be missed seeing how it is directly infront of the back door where I come in and out. Thankyou for all the quick responses. And as for meat going bad instantaniously, if it is pork n it gets over 40degrees I am eatin it then or its going bybye, just my.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts