Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. Been reading PFF for several years. Joined to post this. I am wanting to book a once in a lifetime fishing trip. I live in Kentucky and visit the area at least once a year and sometimes more. I try to take a charter at least once a year when on vacation. Now when I say "once in a lifetime" keep in mind that's coming from a KY boy that has just as much fun fishing in a creek as I do offshore. That being said I am looking at the FL Keys doing a offshore and also an inshore. Also looking at Venice La. I am not opposed to any other recommendations if you have them. I have never fished out west or up north so that is a possibility also. Like I said this will be a big trip for me, something that I will probably never do again and I don't mind spending a little money to make it happen. My schedule can be open to anytime of the year. A vacation type destination or close to one is preferred due to wife going also. Help me out with some recommendations.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If you are looking for a "vacation destination" then Venice is out. That is unless your wife's idea of a good time is looking at oily muddy water, watching container ships go by, and swatting mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds. If you are looking for tuna though that is the place to be.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah, Venice would be out unless you stayed in New Orleans.. But then you would have a 1.5hr ride just to Venice.
Tropic Star as mentioned above. Another is Casa Vieja Lodge. Or if you wanted the Keys, Duck Key Resort.

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
Heck I chartered a fella down in Boynton Beach at Lake Ida to peacock/clown knife fish and it didn't disappoint. In 2 weeks, I'm taking my son down there with my own boat to fish Lake Ida and do some inshore fishing fer snook/tarpon! If its a trip fer you to fish and the ole lady to shop and what not, I'd do the keys. Now ifin both of you want to fish, I'd do Venice. I have been following a woman on Instagram named Nicole over there and she has a Bed and Breakfast (Nicole's Fishing Bed and Breakfast) over there...I'll be taking momma over there fer a fishing trip...

·
Registered
13,527 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies so far. It is really appreciated. I will be researching all of the recommendations. What would be the best time of year for fishing these places. Im thinking I would like to avoid the hot summer months of July and August but I guess that depends on how good the fishing is during that time. I have plenty of vacation hours to burn so I am open to anytime of year.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
  • Just a thought. Winter months are iffy for getting into the gulf in Louisiana. Christmas a few years ago I went to the Florida Keys to dive. The water was rough until I got off the boat and under water. I was fine then, but I don't think that I would have wanted to fish those days. Not many boats were going out. I can say that the air temperature was great in the Keys. I would choose spring or fall if the heat bothers you.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,607 Posts
Cabo. Chase roosters one day and then blacks, blues and stripes the next. Wife and I went and we were breaking marlin off to only fight two at a time. Pitching sardines at stripes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts