Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved here from the Pacific North West. Retired fish offshore for decades, including Mexico, Hawaii... Have all my own gear/boat. Looking for people fishing the weekdays. Comfortable running 50-75 miles, have fished waters with 10-15ft combined seas.

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
I'm in if not offshore working but not fishing in 10-15ft seas even if you have a 80 foot sportfish lol
I was hoping that was a stretch on his part. The whole deal kinda sounded a bit far fetched to me but I thought I would humor him. I mean and you have been in 6 to 10's but not on purpose.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,704 Posts
I fished some true 8 foot seas in Cabo. Wasn't that bad at all. Seas are way different over there. They have long periods between waves and their waves aren't as steep. Something with how deep it is versus the shallow GOM.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I fished some true 8 foot seas in Cabo. Wasn't that bad at all. Seas are way different over there. They have long periods between waves and their waves aren't as steep. Something with how deep it is versus the shallow GOM.
I understand seas are different other places but he is asking about experienced people to fish out of pensacola with him and i am not fishing anything over 4 foot by choice haha

·
OSOK
4,157 Posts
I'm not fishing in anything over 2' if there ain't a lot of money involved.

No reason to go if it’s less than 2’, then you won’t even remember you went fishing the next day because your body won’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,173 Posts
I've heard the term "square waves" about the gulf. In most big water, waves might be high (amplitude) and the length or period between the waves (frequency) is also longer.

The Gulf of Mexico has waves that are two feet high and two feet long (square)... that beats a small boat hard.

An 8 foot wave with a 30 foot period is a LOT easier on a boat.

Jim

·
Registered
495 Posts
It has more to do with wind or lack there of and how far away the swells come from. The Gulf is a small windy toilet bowl. With a lot of fish in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts